You probably saw this dish a few times over the last few weeks if you follow me on Instagram. But I wanted to share this recipe here because it’s absolutely amazing and I finally perfected the salsa!
These BBQ Tofu Tacos w/ Cucumber Mango Salsa are so satisfying but still incredibly fresh and healthy. They also happen to be gluten free because we are using crunchy corn taco shells instead of flour tortillas. Recently this dish has become my new go-to quick & easy dinner because it comes together in 30 minutes or less. Even quicker if you prep the salsa the day before. This dish is perfect on those days you can’t be bothered with cooking.
What You Will Need For These BBQ Tofu Tacos w/ Cucumber Mango Salsa
- Extra Firm Tofu
- BBQ Sauce
- Fresh Herbs
- Blue Corn Shells
How To Make The Best BBQ Tofu Tacos Every Time
Press your tofu. Pressing improves the texture of the tofu and will also help the tofu crisp up in the pan. I have a tofu press and highly recommend it but you can make a diy tofu press easily by putting the tofu in between two plates and stacking heavy items on top. I almost always have pre- pressed tofu in my fridge so it’s ready to use any time! Simply press tofu and then store in an airtight container and use within 2-3 days. If you’re short on time, no need to press just gently squeeze out some water with a clean dish towel. Just make sure you fry the tofu in batches so they don’t steam in the pan.
Learn more about making the best tofu ever in the Ultimate Guide to Cooking Tofu.
More Tofu Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!Print
These BBQ Tofu Tacos w/ Cucumber Mango Salsa are so satisfying but still incredibly fresh and healthy.
- 1 14oz block of Extra-Firm Tofu
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1–2 tbsp Olive Oil, for cooking
- 1/3 cup Vegan BBQ Sauce, choose your favorite brand
- 6–8 Corn Taco Shells, I used Blue Corn
Cucumber Mango Salsa:
- 1 cup Cucumber, diced
- 1 Mango, diced
- 1/3 cup Red Onion, minced
- 1 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 2–3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Dill, optional
- 2 tbsp Chives, minced
- 1 Large Handful Spinach, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice, about 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice, about 2 limes
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast, optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt, more to taste preference
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, more to taste preference
- Dice the cucumber, mango, and red bell pepper. Toss in a large bowl.
- Mince the red onion, garlic cloves, dill, and chives. Toss in the bowl.
- Finely chop the cilantro, green onions, and spinach. Toss in the bowl and stir to evenly combine.
- Juice the lemons and limes. Pour the juice in to the bowl and stir.
- Then, add the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Toss.
- Taste & add more salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Drain the package of tofu and wrap in a clean dish towel or paper towels and carefully squeeze out as much water as you can. Press the tofu for 30 minutes for crispier tofu.
- Cube the tofu and place in a medium-sized bowl. Add the cornstarch, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Carefully toss the tofu until coated.
- Add olive oil to a pan and heat on medium-high. Add the tofu to the pan in batches and cook until golden brown and crispy, tossing occasionally.
- After your tofu is crisp, add BBQ sauce and stir. Turn off heat.
- Heat Taco Shells in a 350F oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve your BBQ tofu tacos with the cucumber mango salsa and enjoy!!
Keywords: BBQ Tofu Tacos w/ Cucumber Mango Salsa, BBQ Tofu Tacos, Cucumber Mango Salsa