Take your taco nights to the next level with these Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos w/ Cilantro Lime Slaw! Buffalo Cauliflower is a dish I’ll never get tired of. I went vegan over 10 years ago and I’ve been making it ever since. It’s a delicious appetizer, it works as a game day snack, and it’s wonderful in a sandwich and in tacos. Today I’m pairing buffalo cauliflower with a creamy cilantro lime cashew cream sauce and cabbage slaw. The spicy cauliflower pairs well with a creamy sauce that compliments the heat and the slaw adds a nice crunch. Overall, these buffalo cauliflower tacos w/ cilantro lime slaw is a win and I can’t wait for you to try it!
The key to delicious buffalo cauliflower is coating it in a pancake-like batter packed with seasonings, drip off excess batter, and bake at a high heat like 450F. They cook fast! 20 minutes at first and then you’ll want to toss in a melted butter and hot sauce mix and bake for another 15 minutes. While the cauliflower is baking, boil some cashews and blend with lime, cilantro, salt, pepper, and garlic. A very simple but flavorful sauce. Char the tortillas and add slaw, sauce, buffalo cauliflower, red onion, and more cilantro. Enjoy!
What You Will Need For These Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos w/ Cilantro Lime Slaw
The buffalo cauliflower is baked so nothing more needed than and oven for that portion. I love to char the tortillas on a gas stove flame but if you don’t have that option, similar heat on a pan. The cashew sauce does require a blender but the cashews are boiled so you won’t need a vitamix. Any blender will do!
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- Cabbage Slaw
- Cauliflower: Sure! It would change the overall taco flavor but could easily be made with broccoli. I’m actually interested in trying that out so if it goes well let me know! You could also use tofu or vegan chicken.
- All Purpose Flour Batter: Yes, similar switch it out for an all purpose gluten-free flour! Will work the same. Also sub flour tortillas for corn tortillas or for a gluten-free wrap like an almond or quinoa tortilla.
- Cashews: I love using cashews because it’s creamy but you could easy sub out cashews with vegan mayo and whisk in finely chopped cilantro, lime, garlic, salt, and pepper instead of blending. Leave out the unsweet milk. The amount of salt and lime you use might be different so season as needed.
- Cilantro: Not in my opinion. Cilantro is a must for this sauce but if you hate it, leave it out. It will be more of a cashew cream and lime sauce and that might be good but I would go ahead and add some parsley or dill and make it more “ranch” like.
- Ingredients for Serving: Yes, go for it! Change it up! Add or subtract whatever toppings you enjoy or don’t like.
How To Make The Best Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos
To get a perfectly smooth cashew cream sauce, blend until you feel no texture when you rub a bit between two fingers. If you feel the texture of the cashews, keep blending.
To reheat the buffalo cauliflower, AVOID the microwave. It gets incredibly soggy and very unpleasant. I recommend heating leftovers in a pan on medium-high heat with a teaspoon or two of oil and tossing until crisp.
More Taco Recipes You Might Like:
- Vegan Korean Beef Tacos w/ Kimchi Mayo
- BBQ Tofu Tacos w/ Cucumber Mango Salsa
- Vegan Carne Asada Tacos
- Crispy Cheesy Black Bean & Potato Tacos
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos w/ Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 5 cups Cauliflower bite sized
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Butter I use Earth Balance
- 3/4 cup Franks Red Hot
Cilantro Lime Cashew Cream:
- 3/4 cup Cashews boiled or soaked
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 1/2 cup Packed Cilantro
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 3/4 cup Unsweet Plant Milk
- 2 cups Mixed Cabbage
- 8-10 Mini Flour Tortillas
- 1/3 cup Cilantro chopped thinly
- 1/4 cup Red Onion minced
- Lime Wedges
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- The sauce requires softened cashews. Boil the cashews for 15-20 minutes. While boiling, cut the cauliflower and make the batter for the buffalo cauliflower.
- Cut the head of cauliflower in to bite sized pieces.
- Whisk together the all purpose flour, salt, garlic, onion, paprika, and black together. Pour in the unsweet plant milk and whisk until smooth. It should resemble pancake batter.
- Coat each piece of cauliflower in the batter and drip off the excess. Place on a parchment lined baking tray. Continue until all the cauliflower is battered. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is baking, make the cilantro lime cashew cream. Add in the soaked or boiled cashews to a blender along with the lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, black pepper, and unsweet plant milk. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt the vegan butter and whisk in the hot sauce until combined. Toss the baked cauliflower in to the hot sauce and then place back on to the baking tray. Continue baking for another 15 minutes.
- Get the toppings ready for serving. Char the tortillas, cut up the cabbage, chop the cilantro, and mince the red onion. Add a spoonful of the cilantro lime sauce to the mixed cabbage and toss until combined.
- Add a generous amount of cabbage to each tortilla and top with a few pieces of buffalo cauliflower. Sprinkle on the red onion and cilantro. Serve with extra lime wedges and enjoy!