This Chipotle Tofu Fajita Burrito Bowl is delicious, easy, and has been a great addition to my weekly meal prep. It's flavorful and customizable to fit your burrito bowl must haves!
What's your chipotle order? Mine is usually a fajita veggie burrito bowl with brown rice, both beans, and all the vegan toppings like corn salsa, guacamole, lettuce, and spicy salsa. Chipotle is a great option for vegans but it's also incredibly easy to make at home and such a customizable meal. It also happens to be perfect to meal prep. Homemade rice will last a few days, canned black beans will keep well, pico de Gallo stays fresh, homemade or store-bought sour cream can be stored easily, the tofu can be fried ahead of time and reheated in the oven or on a pan. Just add guacamole, salsa, and hot sauce on top and you've got an easy dinner that is filling and tastes so good!
I would recommend pressing the tofu for this recipe. Removing the water will help the tofu soak up all the flavors in the marinade. It also helps out with texture! We want it more "meaty" and not too soft. A tofu press makes this incredibly easy. I used to stack pots and heavy books on top of my tofu which will work but my love for tofu grew once I got a tofu press. It's my most used kitchen gadget and I can't recommend it enough.
- Marinaded Tofu
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Black Beans
- Pico de Gallo
I've left this recipe very open and customizable because everyone has different preferences. The chipotle tofu is a must! It's spicy and loaded with tons of flavor because it's pressed and then marinaded overnight. The rice is full of fresh cilantro and lime juice and the fajita veggies are browned nicely yet still have a nice crisp texture. Those are my three must haves for this homemade burrito bowl but everything else is up to you! I went with black beans, pico de Gallo, vegan sour cream, and avocado slices.
How To Make The Best Chipotle Tofu Fajita Burrito Bowl
Press the tofu! This will help the tofu soak up all the marinade.
Another important step to this recipe is overnight marinading. The tofu needs time to soak up the flavor so I recommend marinating it for at least 6-8 hours.
Pico de Gallo, Guacamole, and Cashew Sour Cream recipe can be found in the recipe card on the post for Chipotle Impossible Beef Taquitos. The taquitos also call for chipotle peppers in adobo so if you have leftovers, give that recipe a go! It's delicious!
Learn more about making the best tofu ever in the Ultimate Guide to Cooking Tofu.
More Recipes You Might Like:
Chipotle Tofu Fajita Burrito Bowl
- 1 Block of Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1-2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Adobo Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Cilantro Lime Rice:
- 1 cup Brown Jasmine Rice
- 2 ¼ cups Water
- Juice of ½ Lime
- ⅓ cup Cilantro
- Salt & Black Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper thinly sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper thinly sliced
- 1 Sweet Onion thinly sliced
Optional Add Ons:
- Black Beans
- Pico De Gallo
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Guacamole or Avocado Slices
- Lime Wedges for serving
- Cilantro for serving
- Press the extra-firm tofu for at least 15 minutes. I use my tofu press and usually press it for a few hours.
- Whisk together the vegetable broth, finely chopped chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, chili powder, paprika, garlic, onion, cumin, and a heavy pinch of salt & pepper.
- Rip the tofu in to bite sized chunks. I like the look this gives the tofu but it can also be cubed. Add the tofu to the marinade and cover. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 1 hour.
- Prep the toppings. I chose black beans, pico, avocado slices, and sour cream. See tips & tricks for recipe links.
- Cook the brown rice then add the finely chopped cilantro, lime, and a heavy pinch of salt & black pepper.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat. Coat the bottom of the pan in vegetable oil.
- Drain the tofu from the marinade and add to a bowl. Carefully toss in cornstarch, nutritional yeast, and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the tofu to the oil and cook on each side until brown and crispy. Drain on a wire rack.
- Thinly slice the peppers and onions. Heat a pan on medium-high heat with 1-2 teaspoons of oil. Sauté the peppers and onions until soft and starting to brown.
- Build your burrito bowl with the cilantro lime rice, chipotle tofu, fajita veggies, and toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply