These Crispy Cheesy Jackfruit Tacos w/ Avocado Lime Sauce are my new favorite way to have jackfruit. Sometimes jackfruit is mushy and kind of, well, unpleasant. Not in this recipe!! The jackfruit is shredded and crisped up in a pan so it’s not mushy and ends up with the perfect shredded texture.
Spiced and seasoned crispy jackfruit topped with delicious melty vegan cheese then folded and pan-fried until golden brown and crisp. Serve with the most delicious creamy avocado lime sauce, jarred or homemade salsa, or hot sauce. Or be like me and use all three! You’re gonna love these crispy cheesy jackfruit tacos.
If you love this recipe, try out these Crispy Cheesy Black Bean & Potato Tacos!
What You Will Need For These Crispy Cheesy Jackfruit Tacos
- Corn Tortillas
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese
What I Used:
- Jackfruit: I use the canned Jackfruit from Trader Joe’s but any brand will do.
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese: I used Daiya but recommend Follow Your Heart or Violife.
- Jackfruit: If you’re not a fan of jackfruit, use crumbled baked tofu or vegan ground beef.
- Corn Tortillas: I prefer corn but flour tortillas will work as well. It would be similar to a quesadilla but still taste very delicious.
- Avocado Lime Sauce: Instead you can serve with guacamole, pico, or your favorite salsa or hot sauce.
How To Make The Best Crispy Cheesy Jackfruit Tacos w/ Avocado Lime Sauce
Buy the corn tortillas fresh the day or day before you plan to make this recipe. Older corn tortillas will become a bit stiff and crack when folded for recipes like this one. Make sure you’re buying a quality brand of corn tortillas that are soft and flexible. Don’t buy stiff corn tortillas.
Even if the tortillas are fresh, microwave them for a few seconds before rolling them. Basically, you want them to be as soft as possible but not soggy or stiff.
More Jackfruit Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Crispy Cheesy Jackfruit Tacos w/ Avocado Lime Sauce
Crispy Jackfruit Tacos:
- 2 cups Shredded Jackfruit
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Shallot
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Salt taste and adjust
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 8 Fresh Corn Tortillas
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese
Avocado Lime Sauce:
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 3 tablespoons Unsweetened Vegan Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup Cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Pickled Jalapeños
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Shred the jackfruit using a fork or clean hands. Toss with minced shallot, garlic cloves, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, oregano, cumin, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil and the jackfruit. Cook until crisp and golden about 7-10 minutes. Toss occasionally. Once done, remove from pan. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
- Wipe the pan clean and place back on medium-high heat and coat the bottom of the pan lightly with oil.
- Add the crispy jackfruit to one side of the corn tortilla (see tips & tricks) and top with vegan cheddar cheese. Fold in half. Place on the hot pan until crispy and golden about 3-4 minutes on each side. Continue until all 8 tacos are crispy.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and season with salt.
- Serve Crispy Cheesy Jackfruit Tacos with the avocado lime sauce and hot sauce if desired. Enjoy!