These Crispy Vegan Green Chili Chicken Tacos are so easy to make & perfect for a weeknight family dinner! Serve them with more tomatillo green chili salsa on the side, fresh guac or avocado, and the best homemade sour cream for the ultimate experience!
Crunchy on the outside, flavorful and cheesy on the inside, easy to put together and so tasty! The best part about this crispy taco recipe is that you can put out a wide variety of different toppings and dig in. The whole family will love this recipe!
You'll need a food processor in order to make the homemade Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa. Other than that, these soy curl tacos come together really simply!
Fresh corn tortillas stuffed with crispy seasoned soy curls, homemade tomatillo green chili salsa and vegan cheddar cheese then baked to crispy perfection... yum! These will be perfect for your next taco night
- Soy Curls
- Corn Tortillas
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa
- Soy Curls: If you have trouble finding soy curls, you can replace it with store-bought vegan chicken or seitan chicken. You can even use potatoes, black beans or even tofu crumbles.
- Corn Tortillas: I love corn tortillas for recipes like this but flour will work as well.
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese: Any store-bought vegan cheese will work or even Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Sauce would be delicious.
- Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa: Store-bought salsa verde works but is a little less flavorful than the homemade version so if you have the time, I highly recommend it.
What are Soy Curls?
Soy curls are dehydrated soy that is meaty in texture which makes them great to mimic chicken or beef in recipes. I love using them because they are truly a sponge for flavor.
Where to buy Soy Curls
Soy curls can be ordered on their website or on amazon. Sometimes they are hard to find in stores but check your local health food shop.
How to Use Soy Curls
Soy curls soak up flavor so they can be marinaded in soy sauce, vegetable broth, vegan chicken stock or simply water and then tossed with seasonings and sauce. I love crisping them up in the oven but they can be air fried or pan-fried or even deep-fried as well.
More Soy Curl Recipes
How to Make Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa
This salsa in these crispy vegan green chili chicken tacos comes together by broiling tomatillos, poblano peppers, jalapeños, garlic and onion and placing in a food processor with cilantro and lime then pulsing until combined.
The roasted tomatillo salsa is simple to make, packed with tons of flavor, and versatile enough for various meals! I highly recommend taking the time to make this recipe as it's much more flavorful than the jarred variety. The full recipe can be found in my blog post for Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa.
How to Make This Recipe
Prep ahead the Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa. This homemade salsa recipe takes about 15 minutes and is worth every second.
Preheat the oven to 400F then soak the soy curls for 10 minutes. Soy curls are dehydrated soy and must be rehydrated before baking. Drain the water and then use your hands to squeeze out the water.
Place the soy curls in a large bowl and toss in olive oil and all the seasonings. Stir to coat and then place in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking tray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. You don't want them hard, just nicely brown on the outside and still soft.
Heat up the corn tortillas in the microwave until they are soft and won't crack when folded. Start building the tacos by adding cheese to one side of the corn tortilla along with some vegan chicken and a large spoonful of tomatillo green chili salsa. Fold and brush both sides with oil and place on a baking tray. Continue until all the tacos are filled. Makes roughly 8 tacos.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until both sides are golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Top with toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Crispy Taco Topping Ideas
- Salsa: Fresh Pico de Gallo, The Best Corn Salsa (Chipotle Copycat), Spicy Pineapple Mango Salsa, or more Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa.
- Vegan Cheese Sauce: I drizzle this Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Sauce on everything and it's insanely delicious!
- Guac: Guacamole without tomatoes! Nothing better...
- Sour Cream: I dipped every bite in the best vegan sour cream and it was insane! So good.
- Side Dishes: Serve with a side of Chipotle Copycat Black Beans and Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice.
Tips & Tricks
Buy the corn tortillas fresh the day or day before you plan to make this recipe. Older corn tortillas will become a bit stiff and crack when folded for recipes like this one. Make sure you’re buying a quality brand of corn tortillas that are soft and flexible. Don’t buy stiff or frozen corn tortillas. Even if the tortillas are fresh, microwave them for a few seconds before folding them. Basically, you want them to be as soft as possible but not soggy or stiff.
Don’t forget about the toppings! These tacos are perfect for scooping up loads of fresh pico de gallo, guacamole, homemade vegan sour cream and red pepper cheese sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, they taste best fresh because the crispy corn tortilla won't be so crispy the nice day or reheated but they will taste very good. If possible, prep ahead and bake the day your plan to serve.
Yes, simply add oil to a frying pan on medium heat and cook for a few minutes each side until the cheese is melted and the corn tortilla is crispy.
I used daiya cheddar slices but follow your heart and violife are also delicious options. You can use slices or shreds. I typically just buy the one that's on sale.
More Tacos Recipes You Might Like:
- Vegan Jackfruit Barbacoa Tacos
- Smoky Cauliflower Tacos w/ Jalapeño Cilantro Sauce
- Crispy Cheesy Black Bean & Potato Tacos
- Crispy Cheesy Jackfruit Tacos w/ Avocado Lime Sauce
- Vegan Carne Asada Tacos
Crispy Vegan Green Chili Chicken Tacos
- 1 cup Dry Soy Curls
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 8-10 Corn Tortillas
- 4-6 Slices of Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Batch Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa
- Oil for baking
- Make the Tomatillo Green Chili Salsa. This homemade salsa recipe takes about 15 minutes and is worth every second.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Soak the soy curls for 10 minutes. Drain the water and then use your hands to squeeze out the water. Chop the soy curls in to small pieces then place in a large bowl and toss in olive oil and all the seasonings. Stir to coat and then place in an even layer on a parchment lined baking tray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Heat up the corn tortillas in the microwave until they are soft and won't crack when folded. Start building the tacos by adding cheese to one side of the corn tortilla along with some vegan chicken and a large spoonful of tomatillo green chili salsa. Fold and brush both sides with oil and place on a baking tray. Continue until all the tacos are filled. Makes roughly 8 tacos.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until both sides are golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Top with avocado, vegan sour cream and more salsa. Enjoy!
Best tacos ever. Family loved them !!!
That's so great to hear! 🙂