Warm weather is here and that means ice cream for dessert! Finally. Nothing better than delicious Gluten-Free Vegan Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches on a hot summer day. Rich, chocolatey, and soft dark chocolate brownies filled with creamy vanilla bean ice cream! Who wouldn't love that?!
I'm not super experienced when it comes to gluten-free baking but I recently started dabbling in it when I found out that my local Trader Joe's sells gluten-free all purpose flour. It didn't work so well when I tried making cookies the first time, they were sandy and not that pleasant. Since that fail I've tried a few more times and i'm so happy to say these brownies were such a success! When frozen they remain soft and delicious, just be sure not to over-bake them. I know you're gonna enjoy these Gluten-Free Vegan Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches so let's get to it!
Let's break it down:
You might think that these are a lot of work but honestly, they couldn't be easier! Whip up a very simple brownie batter and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let the brownies cool completely or even overnight in the freezer if you have the time. Then, fill the center with your favorite vegan vanilla bean ice cream (or get fancy and pick a different flavor) and freeze overnight. The hardest part is giving these time to freeze completely before serving. But trust me, they are worth it!
What You Will Need For These Gluten-Free Vegan Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- GF Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Brown Sugar
- Dark Chocolate
- Ice Cream
GF All Purpose Flour: I used a gluten-free all purpose flour from Trader Joe's but any gluten-free all purpose mix will do. I haven't tested this recipe with regular white all purpose flour but if you do, let me know how it goes.
Dark Chocolate: If you're not a fan of dark chocolate, use semi-sweet chocolate. As long as it's vegan!
How To Make The Best Gluten-Free Vegan Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
I used a dark 85% chocolate in this recipe because I adore bitter dark chocolate but feel free to use any percentage of dark chocolate you enjoy most. Just check the ingredients for milk!
Have patience! Let the brownies cool completely or even freeze overnight (if time permits) BEFORE adding the ice cream and then letting it freeze again for a few hours or overnight.
More Gluten Free Dessert Recipes You Might Like:
If you make this recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Gluten-Free Vegan Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich:
- 1 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 teaspoon Instant Coffee
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Coconut Oil
- 2 oz Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Organic Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Ground Flaxseed
- ¼ cup Water
- More Chocolate Chips if desired
- 2 Pints Vegan Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350F and line two 8x8 baking pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, and salt.
- Whisk together the flaxseed and the water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut oil and 2oz of dark chocolate to a small pot on medium heat. Once melted and smooth, turn off heat. Add this mixture to the dry mixture along with the brown sugar, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and flax eggs. Mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly in to the two 8x8 baking pans. Sprinkle on more chocolate chips if desired. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it's just set on top. Be sure not to over-bake. Let cool completely. If you have the time, place in freezer overnight.
- Mix the two pints of vanilla ice cream until soft and add on top of 1 layer of the brownie. Keep the brownie in the baking pan. Add the second brownie on top and place in fridge overnight or until completely set. Cut in to 8 or more bars and serve! Enjoy.