This Grilled Pineapple BBQ Seitan Sandwich is a sweet and savory lunch or dinner that can be made in under 20 minutes! I opted to use pre-made seitan in this recipe because the other steps are so simple and fast that it only made sense to be able to complete the full recipe in just a few minutes. That makes this recipe perfect for busy days where you want to spend as little time as possible in kitchen but still have a delicious meal. Serve with a side salad or some fries and dinner is served!
This Grilled Pineapple BBQ Seitan Sandwich reminds me of a beautiful sunny day so be sure to make this sandwich soon to soak up the last bit of warm weather! Simply season and brown the seitan in a pan. Toss the crispy seitan in bbq sauce and set aside. Grill some pineapple rings, chop some cabbage, mix the cabbage with a simple 2 ingredient sauce, toast the buns, and build you sandwich! Super easy, saucy, and SO GOOD.
What You Will Need For This Grilled Pineapple BBQ Seitan Sandwich
This Grilled Pineapple BBQ Seitan Sandwich comes together with very minimum effort and cooking but in order to make the grilled pineapple a small grill pan is required. They are very inexpensive. I have a very small cast iron grill pan that I found at TJ Maxx for $7.
- Store-Bought or Home-Made Seitan
- Store-bought BBQ Sauce or Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Grilled Pineapple
- Green and Purple Cabbage
- Store-Bought Seitan: Feel free to use Soy Based Vegan Chicken, Extra-Firm Tofu, or Home-Made Seitan. I have a chicken-style seitan recipe that would work well in this recipe. Note: You'll only need 8oz for this recipe unless you're making more than 2 sandwiches.
- Grilled Pineapple: If you don't have a grill pan, simply brown the pineapple on a pan on medium-high heat until slightly golden. Alternatively, you could use fresh pineapple but it's better grilled.
- Mixed Cabbage: I usually buy the prepackaged slaw mixture instead of a purple and green cabbage because it is usually too much cabbage for me to finish and typically goes to waste. So buying a small bag instead can cut down of the amount you have to buy for this recipe. If you're not a fan of cabbage at all, use spring mix but add the mayo to the bun instead of tossing it in the greens.
- Cilantro: Just leave it out! I used it for color and I love the flavor cilantro brings but if you're not a fan, simply leave it out. Alternatives you could add would be some pickled jalapeños or green onions.
How To Make The Best Grilled Pineapple BBQ Seitan Sandwich
I used a pre-packaged seitan to make this a quick and easy lunch or dinner for those extra busy days! If you have the time, feel free to make your own seitan from scratch. You only need 8oz- enough for 2 sandwiches.
I used Upton's Traditional Seitan in Chunks for this recipe. It had a great texture and worked well. I highly recommend this one if you have it available in your area. If not, any seitan made in chunks that aren't already seasoned will work well.
More Sandwich Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Grilled Pineapple BBQ Seitan Sandwich
- 8 oz Store-Bought Seitan Chunks
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Pinch of Salt & Black Pepper
- ⅓ cup Store-Bought BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups Mixed Green and Purple Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Mayo
- ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 4 Pineapple Rings canned or fresh
- Cilantro for serving
- 2 Vegan-Friendly Burger Buns
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat with a few teaspoons of vegetable oil.
- Toss seitan chunks with garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Add the seasoned seitan to the pan and cook for a few minutes until crispy and golden.
- Toss the seitan with the bbq sauce and turn off heat.
- In a well oiled grill pan over medium-high heat, grill the pineapple for 1-2 minutes per side until grill marks are visible.
- Mix the green and purple cabbage with the vegan mayo, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt & black pepper.
- Add the bbq seitan, grilled pineapple rings, cabbage slaw, and fresh cilantro to a toasted burger bun and enjoy!