Kimchi fried rice w/ crispy tofu that reminds you of that take-out fried rice you know and love but healthier and more delicious! Kimchi fried rice w/ crispy tofu, i’m in! I’m always in! The addition of kimchi in this fried rice brings some sour and spicy flavor. The texture of the tofu when baked gets crispy and firm and adds a sort of meaty texture. And the vegetables are all up to you! Add what you have, take out what you don’t! Fried rice is customizable and an easy meal to whip up on a weekday or busy weekend. The tofu takes the longest so start there and the rest will be fast and easy! Make it even faster by using leftover rice and pan-fried tofu.
What You Will Need For This Kimchi Fried Rice w/ Crispy Tofu
- Vegan Friendly Kimchi
- Jasmine Rice
- Mixed Vegetables of Choice
The best part about making fried rice is that you can throw in whatever you want! Any veggies will work here. Fried rice is usually made with leftover rice so if you have jasmine rice leftover, use it!! You can also use crispy pan-fried tofu if you’re short on time and don’t want to bake it. This recipe is very very forgiving.
Products I Used:
- Kimchi: I absolutely Mother in Law’s Vegan Kimchi. It’s my absolute favorite.
How To Make The Best Kimchi Fried Rice w/ Crispy Tofu Every Time
Update: When I wrote this recipe I made it with fresh rice each time. I would now change it and use leftover rice because it’s dry and crisps up in the pan better. I don’t want to change the written recipe in case some of you enjoy the original but if you have leftover rice, use that!!
More Tofu Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Kimchi Fried Rice w/ Crispy Tofu
- 1 block Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Cornstarch
Kimchi Fried Rice:
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice measured dry
- 2 cups Water
- 2-3 tablespoons Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup Onion diced
- 1/2 cup Mixed Bell Peppers diced
- 3 Stalks of Green Onion white & green part separated
- 1 cup Frozen Peas & Carrots I used a mixed bag
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 cup Kimchi check ingredients- not all are vegan
- Soy Sauce to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 450F.
- Wrap the block of tofu in a clean dish towel or paper towels and remove as much water as possible.
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons oil, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper in a large bowl. Dice tofu in bite sized pieces and toss in the oil mixture. Once coated, add in the cornstarch and toss once more. Add the tofu to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 30-45 minutes. This is all depending on your desired amount of crisp-ness. I usually go for somewhere in the middle.
- While the tofu is baking, add 1 cup of Jasmine Rice to 2 cups of water. Bring to boil, cover, lower to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn off heat and set aside. Alternatively, use a rice cooker.
- Add the oil to a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, bell peppers, and the white part of the thinly sliced green onions. After a few minutes, add garlic cloves, frozen peas, and carrots. After a few more minutes, add the cooked rice. Stir together and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Stir. Let sit for another 2-3 minutes. You want to wait long enough for the rice to crisp up slightly. After about 10 minutes, add in the baked tofu, green part of the green onion, kimchi, and soy sauce to taste. Stir. Turn off heat and serve!