I love a good potato side dish and these Garlic Rosemary Mini Hasselback Potatoes do not disappoint! These mini potatoes are crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside and so flavorful and delicious. You're gonna love this dairy free, gluten free and vegan side dish!
Though these garlic rosemary mini hasselback potatoes look like a fancy side dish, this recipe is super simple and pretty straightforward.
What are hasselback potatoes?
A hasselback potato is simply a cooking method in which potatoes are thinly sliced crosswise but stopping before you cut all the way through. This method looks nice and is perfect stuffing or topped with additional flavors. In this case, we are brushing the potatoes with vegan butter and stuffing with rosemary and garlic.
These crispy hasselback potatoes flavored with fresh rosemary, garlic, and vegan butter are absolutely the best side dish ever! This delicious potato dish is dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan!
- Mini Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Fresh Rosemary
- Vegan Butter
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: Mini golden potatoes are the ideal potato for this vegan side dish! They are a perfect size. Red potatoes, new potatoes, and purple potatoes will also work for this recipe.
- Fresh Garlic: Always always use freshly minced garlic. If you want more of a garlic flavor, add garlic powder as well but the pre-minced garlic is a little more acidic and isn't recommended.
- Fresh Rosemary: Rosemary and potatoes are the perfect combos! You could also use freshly minced parsley or thyme. Or a combo of all three. Yum!
- Vegan Butter: If you don't want to use butter, use olive oil! I love the buttery flavor but olive oil is tasty as well.
- Salt & Pepper: This speaks for itself. Be sure to salt and pepper your potatoes!!
How to Make This Recipe
These Hasselback potatoes are sure to be your new favorite potato side dish! They have a crispy exterior and fluffy interior and a delicious buttery flavor with tons of fresh garlic and rosemary.
Step 1: Prep the potatoes
Preheat oven to 450F. Then, slice the hasselback potatoes! Use a sharp knife to make crosswise cuts in each mini potato. Be sure to stop about ¼ inch from the bottom.
Step 2: How to Make Garlic Rosemary Butter
Melt the vegan butter and then finely mince the garlic and rosemary. Mix together. Brush half of this mixture onto the potatoes being sure to coat all sides. Sprinkle with a heavy pinch of salt and black pepper.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Step 3: Finish it up!
Remove from oven and toss in remaining butter and garlic mixture and another sprinkle of salt and black pepper. Bake for 20 more minutes.
Remove from oven and top with freshly chopped rosemary and serve!
Tips & Tricks
I am a risk taker and just trust myself to stop before cutting through the whole potato but here's a tip: Place the potato in between two chopsticks and then slice the potato. The chopsticks will prevent you from cutting all the way through the potato.
Make sure to coat the whole potato in garlic butter and make sure you push some of the garlic cloves and rosemary in to the slices of the potatoes!
Salt to your preference! I used salted vegan butter so it didn't take much extra added salt, just a small sprinkle at the beginning and middle of the bake time. But if your butter is unsalted, be sure to sprinkle it on a little heavier.
- Mix up the herbs! You can use fresh basil, thyme, parsley, or chives.
- Top them off like baked potatoes! I'm imagining melted vegan cheddar cheese, vegan bacon bits, and sour cream and chives.
- Add more seasonings! I'm thinking smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.
- Dunk these in sauces! Homemade Garlic Aioli is my absolute favorite thing to serve these with!
These hasselback potatoes are a perfect side dish for a lot of meals! I love serving these with vegan steak made from vital wheat gluten.
Serve these with a vegan protein of your choice and a roasted vegetable. Roasted asparagus or broccoli would pair well.
Or simply dunk these in your favorite sauce and call it a night!
Leftover potatoes can be reheated in a 400F preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until hot.
More Side Dish Recipes You Might Like:
- Creamy Vegan Garlic Parmesan Orzo
- Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice (Rice Cooker Method!)
- The Best Chipotle Copycat Black Beans
If You Make This Recipe:
I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below and leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating. I really appreciate it- it helps me out so much! Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Garlic Rosemary Mini Hasselback Potatoes
- 1 ½ pounds Mini Yukon Gold Potatoes
- ¼ cup Vegan Butter
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves finely minced
- 2 tablespoons Freshly Chopped Rosemary
- Pinch of Salt & Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Using a sharp knife to make crosswise cuts in each mini potato. Being sure to stop about ¼ inch from the bottom.
- Melt the vegan butter and then finely mince the garlic and rosemary. Mix together!
- Brush half of this mixture on to the potatoes being sure to coat all sides. Sprinkle with heavy pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and toss in remaining butter garlic mixture and another sprinkle of salt and black pepper. Bake for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with freshly chopped rosemary and serve!