This Sesame Ginger Cauliflower is an easy weeknight meal that feels like a special takeout dish but with an extra serving of vegetables. Sweet, savory, and delicious!
Cauliflower is a magical ingredient. I’m still obsessed with buffalo cauliflower wings! Whoever invented that, thank you. Cauliflower just works in so many places. Except for a rice replacement, I haven’t been able to jump on that trend. But I do agree that dressing cauliflower up is a great way to sneak in an extra serving of vegetables and is surprisingly filling when served with rice and steamed broccoli or another vegetable like peppers or bok choy.
To make this sesame ginger cauliflower, batter the cauliflower and bake until crisp. Then, sauté some shallots, garlic and ginger on the stove top and add the sauce until thickened. Toss in the baked cauliflower and serve with rice, that veggie side if desired, sliced green onions, and sesame seeds! Hope you enjoy!
What You Will Need For This Sesame Ginger Cauliflower
Noting fancy here! This cauliflower dish is battered and baked until crisp then tossed in a sauce on a pan to thicken. Serve with rice and green onions!
- Sesame Oil
- Fresh Grated Ginger
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Lime Juice
- Cauliflower: I’ve made similar dishes with tofu and chicken-style seitan. Both delicious and would work here perfectly! Instead of using the cauliflower batter for tofu, toss in 1 – 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and seasonings listed below. Then, spray with oil and bake until crispy or pan-fry until golden and crisp! For the seitan, similar toss in seasonings and pan-fry until crispy.
How To Make The Best Sesame Ginger Cauliflower
When battering the cauliflower, drain off excess so the batter doesn’t leak past the structure of the cauliflower floret. The batter should be thick and not runny.
Make sure you remove it from the oven just when it’s crisp so the cauliflower doesn’t overcook and become mushy. You want it to have a bit to it! Toss in sauce until just thickened and serve.
More Recipes You Might Like:
- Sweet Chili Tofu
- Sweet & Sour Tofu
- Smoky Cauliflower Tacos w/ Jalapeño Cilantro Sauce
- Creamy Vegan Broccoli Pesto Pasta w/ Roasted Cauliflower
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Sesame Ginger Cauliflower
- Half a Large Cauliflower
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
Sesame Ginger Sauce:
- 1-2 teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Shallot minced
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Grated Ginger
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- Juice of Half a Lime
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Toasted Sesame Oil
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- White or Brown Jasmine Rice
- Sliced Green Onions
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cut the cauliflower in to bite-sized florets and start making the rice.
- Make the batter. Whisk together the AP flour, seasonings, and plant milk. The batter shouldn't be runny.
- Dip each cauliflower floret in to the batter and wipe off excess. Once coated, place on a parchment lined baking tray. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Mince the shallot, ginger, and garlic. Set aside.
- Whisk together the vegetable broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, brown sugar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and cornstarch.
- Heat a pan on medium heat and add the vegetable oil. Sauté the shallot, ginger, and garlic until fragrant. About 2-3 minutes. Add in the sauce and whisk until thickened. Toss in the baked cauliflower to coat in the sauce.
- Divide the rice in to serving bowls and top with saucy cauliflower. Serve with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!