This Spicy Three Bean Butternut Squash Chili is the ultimate fall comfort food. This is definitely the recipe I will be craving when the weather turns a little more chilly (almost there!) and I have no where to go! Ahhh, it’s going to be so nice. This delicious bean chili recipe is perfectly spicy because of 2 little chipotle peppers in adobo. I love using this ingredient in everything! A little goes along way so don’t add too much but the heat and flavor it brings is so good so don’t leave it out. If you’re sensitive to heat, start with one. The added butternut squash is for a hint of sweetness and complements the chipotle peppers and chili powder so well. Get that soup pot out and give this recipe a try and don’t forget to serve it with my fluffy buttermilk cornbread!
Nothing fancy! Just a large pot to hold all of this delicious chili.
- Kidney, Pinto, & Black Beans
- Butternut Squash
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
- Chili Powder
- Vegetable Broth
- Diced Canned Tomatoes
Tips & Tricks:
While it’s possible to make chili in less than an hour, it’s not recommended. Simmering this chili recipe for 1 hour will give you the perfect chili texture that you want, not too thin & not too thick. It also helps you develop flavor. Chili is also even better the next day so you’ll definitely want to make enough to have leftovers!
Serve this spicy three bean butternut squash chili with the most delicious and fluffy buttermilk cornbread.
You can top chili off with whatever you enjoy. Vegan cheese, store-bought vegan sour cream, cilantro, chopped onions.. the options are endless! I enjoy topping off my chili with avocado slices, pickled jalapeños, and cashew sour cream. Recipe for the cashew sour cream is under this recipe for Chipotle Impossible Beef Taquitos. And while we’re on the topic, if you make that recipe and have leftover impossible meat…. throw it in the chili! Yummm. For this recipe, you need chipotle peppers in adobo and same with the taquitos so make both and let me know how it goes.
More Fall Inspired Recipes You Might Like:
- Roasted Red Pepper Fettuccine
- Butternut Squash & Mushroom Lasagna Rolls
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Dumpling Soup
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!Print
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 cup Red Bell Peppers, diced
- 2 cups Butternut Squash, cubed
- 2–3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, use 1 for less heat
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 can Kidney Beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 can Pinto Beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 can Black Beans, drained + rinsed
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cups Diced Canned Tomatoes
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Avocado, for topping
- Vegan Sour Cream, for topping
- Pickled Jalapenos, for topping
- Dice the onion, red bell pepper, and the butternut squash.
- Add the oil to a large pot on medium-high. Cook the onions, peppers, and squash with a pinch of salt for 7 minutes. Then, add minced garlic and finely chopped chipotle peppers. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, paprika, cumin, bay leaves, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Cook for another minute or 2.
- Drain and rinse the kidney, pinto, and black beans. Add to the pot along with the vegetable broth, water, and the diced canned tomatoes.
- Bring the chili to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover for 1 hour, uncover the last 15 minutes or until thickened. Stirring occasionally. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Serve chili with homemade vegan cornbread, sour cream, avocado slices, and pickled jalapeños. Enjoy!
Keywords: three bean butternut squash chili, homemade chili, vegan bean chili, vegan chili, three bean chili, butternut squash, fall recipes, winter recipes