What You Will Need For This Tofu Katsu Curry
- Extra Firm Tofu
- Curry Powder
- Vegetable Broth
- Coconut Milk
- Panko Breadcrumbs
How To Make The Best Tofu Katsu Curry Every Time
Press the tofu if you have the time. Pressing improves the texture of the tofu and will also help the tofu crisp up in the pan. I have a tofu press and highly recommend it but you can make a diy tofu press easily by putting the tofu in between two plates and stacking heavy items on top. I almost always have pre- pressed tofu in my fridge so it’s ready to use any time! Simply press tofu and then store in an airtight container and use within 2-3 days.
More Curry Recipes You Might Like
- Butternut Squash & Chickpea Cashew Curry
- Tofu Katsu Curry Sushi Burger
- Coconut Curry Soup w/ Sesame Crusted Tofu
- Butter Tofu
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 cup Carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup Shallots chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 cups Vegan Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 block Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/2 cup Flour
- a can Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Salt and Pepper
- Oil for frying
- Rice of choice
- Scallions for garnish
- Heat 2 tbsps of oil in a large pan over med-high heat. Add the carrots and shallots, cook for 7 minutes. Add fresh garlic and ginger, cook for another 3 minutes. Next, mix in the curry powder and the tomato paste until fragrant.
- In a bowl, add the stock of your choice and mix in the cornstarch so it doesn't become lumpy when added to the hot pan. After mixed, add it to the pan along with the bay leaf, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sweetener. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 25 minutes.
- If serving with rice, start cooking it at this time
- Let's prepare the tofu. Lightly squeeze between a clean dish towel to remove any excess water then slice the tofu into 8 rectangles.
- You'll need 3 separate bowls. In the first bowl, add flour. Second bowl, add the can of coconut milk and ACV. And in the third bowl, add the breadcrumbs with a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Dip the slices of tofu into flour, then into the coconut milk, and then into the breadcrumbs. Repeat until all coated. Set aside.
- Remove bay leaf from sauce, don't discard it. Carefully transfer the sauce to a blender. Cover the blender with a dish towel to avoid splashes. Blend until smooth. Add back to the pan, put the bay leaf back in, and keep on medium heat, stirring occasionally, while preparing the tofu.
- Add enough oil to cover the base of a large pan. Heat oil on Medium-High heat. Add breaded tofu, don't overcrowd the pan, shallow pan-fry for about 5-6 minutes each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve tofu with rice and a generous spoonful of curry sauce and top it off with scallions. Enjoy!