This Creamy Vegan Avocado Lime Salad Dressing is made with fresh cilantro, lime juice and jalapeños for a hint of spice. This avocado sauce is great as a salad dressing but can even be used for burrito bowls, tacos or served as a dip with vegetables.
This avocado salad dressing recipe is super rich and extra creamy because of the addition of avocado and vegan heavy cream that is made with cashews. This can be substituted with vegan yogurt or silken tofu- or omitted all together to create a lighter salad dressing.
This vegan dressing is a refreshing fresh sauce that is perfect for a summer salad. Made with fresh ingredients and is completely dairy-free and vegan despite being extra creamy!
- Ripe Avocado
- Homemade Vegan Heavy Cream
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
You're going to love this completely customizable vegan avocado salad dressing- change the creaminess, make it thicker, make it thinner, use parsley or basil instead of cilantro, use more olive oil or use less. This vegan salad dressing is incredibly delicious as is but can be modified to create the perfect salad dressing for you.
- Ripe Avocado: The base of the dressing! The avocado must be soft and ripe. If all your avocados are too hard, hold off on this recipe and come back to it in a few days.
- Homemade Vegan Heavy Cream: Adds even more creaminess. For nut-free salad dressing, see substitutions below. This is a good alternative to add creaminess to a variety of dishes. It's a staple in my house so I recommend trying it out!
- Olive Oil: Adds flavor and richness! You can use avocado oil as well but I love the flavor extra virgin olive oil adds.
- Lime Juice: Adds flavor and tangy- also helps the dressing from going brown. Lemon juice would also work.
- Fresh Cilantro: I love the addition of fresh herbs- parsley, basil or chives would also work.
- Jalapeños: For a hint of spice! Can be left out.
- Garlic Clove: Just one for some delicious flavor. Everything is better with a little garlic.
- Water: As needed in order to thin out the dressing.
- Salt & Black Pepper: Essential!!
You'll need a Food Processor or Blender in order to make this avocado cashew cream.
How to Make This Recipe
Place all ingredients, except the water, in to a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Add the water in order to thin it out in to a pourable consistency. You may need the entire ¼ cup or you might need less. This is your preference- and depending on the size of your avocado.
Taste and adjust the following to your preference: salt, pepper, lime, or olive oil. Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days!
Heavy Cream Substitutes
This creamy vegan avocado lime dressing recipe is made extra creamy by the addition of a few scoops of my heavy cream. This cashew cream is made up of 3 simple ingredients and adds a creamy element to a variety of different dishes.
If you are allergic to cashews, don't worry! I got you. I always have this heavy cream prepped in the fridge so that's why I chose to use it. If you don't have it on hand and want to whip up this recipe, you can use a few different things to create a delicious creamy avocado dressing.
- Silken Tofu: Use the same amount of silken tofu to heavy cream to add creaminess.
- Vegan Yogurt: This will add tanginess as well as creaminess. With this route, you may need to adjust some of the other ingredients. I would start with less lime and go from there. It might need extra salt as well.
- Vegan Sour Cream: Store-bought or homemade sour cream should work well. Again, this might make the dressing more tangy than intended.
- Plant Milk: If you don't want a super creamy, thick dressing- omit the cream all together and add plant milk or more water to get the right consistency.
- Store-Bought Vegan Heavy Cream: Find a list of store-bought heavy creams in the blog post for my Heavy Cream recipe.
Change up the herbs: If you're not a fan of cilantro, simply omit it. This dressing is also delicious with basil, parley or even chives! I recommend mix and matching the herbs. I sometimes do a mix of cilantro and parsley and it's very delicious! If you add parsley and dill and a bit of nutritional yeast you can make it taste like a vegan avocado ranch dressing- yum!
Make it creamier: This vegan avocado dressing is already incredibly creamy because of the addition of vegan-friendly heavy cream but if you want it even more creamy and delicious simple replace the water with plant milk.
Make it thinner: Add more water to get a thinner consistency
Use a different acid: Lemon would be delicious as well! Especially paired with fresh basil. If you're not a fan of citrus, you can use apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
You can serve this dairy-free avocado dressing so many different ways! This recipe was created to be a creamy salad dressing but I used it on a variety of different dishes and was a huge fan!
- As a dip: Use as an avocado for fresh veggies, tofu nuggets or cauliflower wings, or french fries.
- As a dressing: Drizzle on top of salads, tacos, burrito bowls, fajitas, grain bowls, roasted veggies
- As a spread: Use as a vegan spread on sandwiches in replace of mayo
Store: This avocado lime dressing can be stored in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Keep in mind that the top will go slightly brown because of the avocado but you can wrap the top with plastic wrap, ensure the plastic is touching the top of the dressing to prevent this browning.
Freezing: Freeze for up to 2 months in a freezer safe container. Thaw in the fridge before using.
Frequently Asked Questions
Avocados should be refrigerated once they are perfectly ripe but not before.
Use a sharp knife to cut through the avocado lengthwise until you feel the pit. Then, pivot the knife and cut through the other side of the avocado. Twist the two halves and pull them apart. Pierce the pit with your knife and pull it out. Remove the avocado skin and proceed with the recipe.
The top will go slightly brown because of the avocado but it's still edible- just spoon off the brown layer. Place plastic wrap on top touching the dressing to prevent the browning- the lime juice should also help.
Add lemon juice instead of lime and add nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley and dill.
More Creamy Salad Dressing Recipes You’ll Love
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Easy Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing
- Creamy Tahini Dill Dressing
- Homemade Vegan Italian Dressing
Salad Recipes You'll Love
- Vegan Bacon Apple Spinach Salad w/ Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Brussels Sprout & Sweet Potato Salad w/ Maple Mustard Dressing
- Kale Caesar Salad w/ Grilled Cajun Tofu
If You Make This Recipe:
I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below and leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating. I really appreciate it- it helps me out so much! Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Creamy Vegan Avocado Lime Salad Dressing
- 1 Food Processor or High Speed Blender
- ½ cup Ripe Avocado ½ a Medium Avocado
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Heavy Cream see above for substitutions
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- ½ cup Cilantro
- 2-3 Jalapeño Slices optional
- 1 Garlic Clove
- ½ teaspoon Salt more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Water to thin it out
- Place all ingredients, except the water, in to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the water in order to thin it out in to a pourable consistency. You may need the entire ¼ cup or you might need less. This is your preference- and depending on the avocado size.
- Taste and adjust the following to your preference: salt, pepper, lime, or olive oil.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days!