This Vegan Bacon & Apple Pizza has changed pizza for me! The dough came out so fluffy and delicious, I had to share it! If you've never made your own pizza dough, why?? It's so easy and way better than store-bought. It's a mix of very simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and has only 1hr of inactive time. So simple! So, my deep love for this dough sparked this pizza idea! Garlic butter, a trio of vegan cheeses, vegan bacon, apples, walnuts?!?! Yes! My boyfriend has had a non-vegan version of this pizza at a few pizza shops and always raves about it! He took a bite of this one and said "It tastes just like it!!!" This recipe is a win and I'm so excited for you all to try it.
What You Will Need For This Vegan Bacon & Apple Pizza
Stand Mixer comes in handy when making dough from scratch but you can do this by hand as well. A 12in Cast Iron Skillet or a 14in pan if a thinner pizza is desired.
- Bread Flour
- Vegan Cheese
- Vegan Bacon
What I Used:
Vegan Cheese: I used Gouda from Follow your Heart, Mozzarella Cheese and Aged Cheddar from Violife. Follow your Heart and Violife are my personal favorites but choose any three different flavors of vegan cheese that you love.
Vegan Bacon: I used the bacon from Sweet Earth which is seitan based and very delicious. Any vegan bacon will work.
Pizza Dough: I made my own pizza crust below but you can use a pre-made crust or your favorite dough recipe.
How To Make The Best Vegan Bacon & Apple Pizza
I love using bread flour for this pizza crust. It's fluffy and crisp on the bottom. But if you're short on time, use a pre-made pizza dough or make the dough the day before. Simply let the dough rise for 1hr, wrap in cling wrap, and place in the fridge overnight.
More Pizza Recipes You Might Like:
- Garlic Knots
- Roasted Red Pepper Pizza w/ Tofu Ricotta & Balsamic Glaze
- Garlic Parmesan & Herb Star Bread
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Bacon & Apple Pizza
- 1 ½ cup Bread Flour
- 1 teaspoon Instant Yeast
- ½ teaspoon Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup + 2 to 3 tablespoons of Hot Water 120F-130F
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Butter melted
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves minced
- A few slices of Vegan Gouda Cheese I used Follow Your Heart
- ½ - ¾ cup Shredded Vegan Mozzarella Cheese I used Violife
- ½ - ¾ cup Vegan Aged Cheddar I used Violife
- 1 Yellow Onion caramelized
- ⅓ of an Apple I used Gala
- 4 Pieces of Vegan Bacon I used Sweet Earth
- ¼ cup Walnuts dry roasted
- 1-2 tablespoons of Parsley for garnish
Make the dough:
- Add the dry pizza dough ingredients in to the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. You can do this by hand as well.
- Heat the water. Make sure it's between 120F-130F to ensure the yeast doesn't die. Add the oil to ½ cup of the water and slowly pour the mixture in to the dry ingredients while the stand mixer is on low. Add the rest of the water as needed. Turn the mixer off when the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough in to a smooth ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
Prepare the Toppings:
- Thinly slice the yellow onion. Heat a large pan on medium heat and add a thin layer of oil. Add the onions along with a pinch of salt and a sprinkle of organic cane sugar. Cook for 30 minutes. Turn down heat as needed and add a splash of water if they get dry. Remove from pan and set aside when they are done.
- In the same pan, slightly crisp up the vegan bacon. Remove from pan and cut in to large pieces. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the apple, prepare the trio of cheeses, and preheat the oven to 425F.
- When the pizza is almost done rising, melt the vegan butter. Add the minced garlic and cook for a few moments until fragrant. Remove from heat.
Assemble & Bake:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough. I used my 12" cast iron skillet because I like a thick pizza crust but if you want a thinner pizza, roll it out more and use a large pizza pan. Transfer the dough to your preferred pan.
- Evenly spread the garlic butter on the dough, add on the trio of cheese, thinly sliced apple, bacon pieces, and caramelized onions. Bake the pizza for 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden. Every oven is different so keep an eye on it.
- While the pizza is baking, roughly chop the walnuts. Toss them in a dry pan for about 4-5 minutes on medium heat. They burn fast so keep an eye on them. Once they are slightly browned and fragrant, remove from pan.
- Once the pizza is done, top with toasted walnuts and chopped parsley. Slice and serve!