This Vegan Bacon, Potato, & Caramelized Onion Flatbread is UNREAL. The homemade flatbread is so flavorful and fluffy and whatever you decide to put on it….. you’ll be in heaven!
I chose to load my flatbread up with vegan cheese, tempeh bacon, roasted potato, and caramelized onions and honestly it was the PERFECT choice. Tempeh bacon is my absolute favorite but you can use store bought veggie bacon if you’d prefer. The potatoes and the caramelized onions are a must. And choose your favorite cheese to finish it off.
Let’s Break it Down:
This Vegan Bacon, Potato, & Caramelized Onion Flatbread takes a little bit of work but don’t worry! It will be easy and WORTH IT. First, start by making the dough to the flatbread. Let that rise for 1 hour. During this hour, prep everything else! Start the caramelized onions first, then get the potatoes in the oven, followed by the tempeh bacon. Once everything is cooked, set it aside off the heat. Then, start forming 6 dough balls and flattening them into an oval shape. Cook on stove for only 5-6 minutes total. Pile your ingredients on top and pop in the oven for a few moments to melt the cheese and warm up the other toppings! That’s it!
Learn More About Cooking with Tempeh:
Read my Ultimate Guide to Cooking with Tempeh to learn all about tempeh!
What You Will Need For This Flatbread
A stand mixer with a dough hook is a helpful tool when making bread. But please note that this can be done by hand. To do so, simply knead the dough by hand.
- All Purpose Flour
- Instant Yeast
- Caramelized Onion
- Vegan Cheese
I don’t recommend making any substitutions to the dough itself. This recipe was tested multiple times and this was the best outcome. But the toppings are up to you!
How To Make The Best Flatbread Every Time
Spoon and level off the flour! I can’t recommend this enough. Be sure not to over measure the flour or the dough will be dry and you’ll end up with tough flatbread. Don’t scoop the flour out of the container or bag with your measuring cup, simply spoon the flour in to the measuring cup and level it off with a knife. Do not pack the flour in to the cup or bang the cup on the counter. This will make the flour settle and you’ll end up with too much flour.
Read through the instructions before you start because you are going to need to multitask to complete each step. While the dough is rising, make the toppings!!
More Recipes You Might Like:
- Garlic Parmesan & Herb Star Bread
- Roasted Red Pepper Pizza w/ Tofu Ricotta & Balsamic Glaze
- Vegan Bacon & Apple Pizza
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Bacon, Potato, & Caramelized Onion Flatbread
- 1 Packet Instant Yeast 2 1/4 tsp
- 2 tsp Organic Sugar
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp Warm Water 120-130F
- 2 tbsps Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Garlic
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Russet Potatoes
- 2-3 tsp Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Batch Easy Baked Tempeh Bacon
- 1 large Sweet Onion thinly sliced
- 2-3 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Organic Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- Vegan Cheese I used Violife Mozzarella
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Green Onion
- Make the Flatbread: Mix the instant yeast, sugar, warm water, and oil in the small bowl.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, thyme, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Combine the flour mixture and yeast mixture together with a spatula and then use your hands to bring it all together.
- Turn the dough out on to a clean surface and knead for a few minutes until it is smooth.
- Clean out the bowl, dry, then lightly oil it. Place the dough in to the oiled bowl and place a damp dish towel over it. Let dough rise for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, punch the dough and release the air. Turn the dough out on to a clean surface and divide the dough in to 6 even pieces. Roll each section of dough in to an oval shape.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium-high. No oil necessary. Gently place one or two (depending on how much room you have) on the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden in places and slightly charred. It will bubble and puff up. Set aside and continue until all the flatbread is cooked.
- Make the Caramelized Onions: Thinly slice the large onion. Heat a pan to medium heat with the olive oil. Add the onions, salt, and sugar to the pan and let cook until they have caramelized about 35-45 minutes. If they start to dry out, add a tbsp or 2 of water. If they start to burn, turn the heat down. Once the onions are golden and caramelized, turn off heat. Set aside.
- Make the Roasted Potatoes: Preheat oven to 400F. Thinly slice the potatoes like a potato chip. Lay flat on a parchment lined baking tray with no potatoes overlapping. Brush each potato slice with a tiny bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake time depends on your oven and how thin you sliced them so keep your eye on them. Mine took between 25-30 minutes. You want them to be cooked through and slightly golden and crisp. Once done, take out of the oven and set aside.
- Make the Tempeh Bacon.
- Assembly: Once all the components of the flatbread are done, place your oven on broil.
- Sprinkle the flatbreads with shredded vegan cheese, a layer of roasted potatoes, pieces of the tempeh bacon, caramelized onions, and top with a bit more vegan cheese.
- Place under broil for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and everything has been reheated. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh thyme and green onion if desired.