You're going to love these Vegan Beef Wontons w/ Spicy Chili Oil! Spicy crunchy chili oil drizzled over a soft and flavorful wonton stuffed with vegan ground beef, shallot, garlic, and ginger. So good!
Wontons are one of those foods that I don't make often but always wish I did make more of. Not only are they tasty, but they can be fun to make as well. Especially if you have someone in the kitchen helping. Or if you're like me all you need to do is put on the latest episode of the Murder Squad podcast and zone out. They will be folded before ya know it! I've linked a few folding techniques below to help out but in the end wontons can be different shapes so it really doesn't matter what you go with as long as they are sealed completely before boiling.
Is a Wonton a Dumpling?
What's the difference? Well, both originated in China and are well loved across the world. The big difference is the thickness of the wrapper. Wontons are thin and dumplings have a thicker skin. Another big difference is that dumplings don't have to be filled while wontons are always filled with some sort of meat filling. In this vegan version, I'm filling my wontons with vegan ground beef, shallot, garlic, ginger, and green onions.
Are Wonton Wrappers Vegan?
Not all wonton wrappers are vegan! Most of them have egg in them. Luckily for us, Nasoya rebranded their wonton wrappers and made them vegan. If you can't find vegan wonton wrappers near you, make your own!
What You Will Need For These Vegan Beef Wontons w/ Spicy Chili Oil
Nothing fancy here! All you need for these Vegan Beef Wontons w/ Spicy Chili Oil is a pan to cook the filling in and a pot to boil them in. You will need a bit of patience though. Does that count?
- Vegan Ground Beef
- Wonton Wrappers
- Chili Oil
- Vegan Ground Beef: I used Gardein Plant Based Ground Beef but Impossible Ground Beef will work well as well as Light Life Beef Crumbles.
- Wonton Wrappers: Make your own! Check out the recipe that I used to make my Easy Vegetable Dumplings.
How To Make The Best Vegan Beef Wontons
Folding wontons takes time and patience. I watched a few YouTube videos and read a few articles showing photos of each step before attempting and it went well. I was surprised how easy it was after a few tries. This article from The Woks of Life is very helpful. I went with method 1.
More Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Beef Wontons w/ Spicy Chili Oil
Vegan Beef Wontons:
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Large Shallot minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon Ginger grated
- 3 cups Vegan Ground Beef I used Gardein
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- Pinch of Red Chili Flakes
- Pinch of Salt & Black Pepper
- ⅓ cup Green Onions white & green parts
- 30-40 Vegan Wonton Wrappers
Spicy Chili Oil:
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Chili Oil
- 2 teaspoons Dried Onion Flakes
- 1-2 tablespoons Green Onions
- Mince the shallot, garlic, and ginger.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Cook the shallot, garlic, and ginger for 2-3 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add in the vegan ground beef and cook for another 5 minutes. Mix together the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Pour over the vegan beef and toss to combine.
- Finely chop the green onions and toss once more. Remove from heat.
- To make the wontons, dip a finger in water and go around the edges of the wrapper. Add two teaspoons of the filling to the center and fold in to a rectangle. Seal the wonton and dab a little bit of water on the right corner then bring the two corners together and squeeze together. Check tips & tricks for more help.
- Boil a large pot of water and boil the wontons in batches of 6 or 7 for 2 minutes each.
- Make the spicy chili oil by whisking together all the ingredients.
- Serve the wontons with a drizzle of the spicy chili oil and enjoy!!