Coming at you with the coziest Vegan Broccoli Cheese Dumpling Soup that is perfect for a chilly January day! Flavorful broccoli soup, creamy cashew cheese, and fluffy dumplings that taste like delicious soft drop biscuits. It's actual heaven! This is the soup you want to cuddle up on the couch with and watch a good movie.
My inspiration for this recipe:
I was scrolling Pinterest and saw a post from Half Baked Harvest that caught my attention. Broccoli Cheddar Soup meets Chicken & Dumplings! WHAT?? I had to veganize it as soon as possible. I took a lot of inspiration from her recipe to create this vegan broccoli cheese dumpling soup. In replace of the milk and cheddar cheese, I used cashew cream and nutritional yeast. It's a delicious replacement and worked magically. Her dumplings sound delicious but I went with my own recipe and they came out incredibly fluffy and soft. Magic. If you love "Chicken" & Dumplings and Broccoli Cheese Soup, you must try this!
Let's break it down:
This vegan broccoli cheese dumpling soup is very simple to put together! Start by cooking up some onions, carrots, broccoli stalks. The broccoli stalks add flavor and cuts down on waste! Highly recommend saving all your broccoli stalks and grating them to add to salads, soups, or stir-fry. Next we will add in the broccoli, vegetable stock or no-chicken stock, bay leaves, and thyme. Once the broccoli is soft, blend about ¾ of the soup. I then like to add in 1 more cup of broccoli before adding the dumplings. The dumplings come together in just a few ingredients and then cook right on top of your soup! It's a very simple yet tasty recipe.
What You Will Need For This Vegan Broccoli Cheese Dumpling Soup
This soup is blended as well as the cashew cream so you will need a blender. Just be sure to be careful when blending hot liquids.
- Nutritional Yeast
- All Purpose Flour
How To Make The Best Vegan Broccoli Cheese Dumpling Soup
Allow the onions to become soft and start to brown for lots more flavor!
I’ve burned myself by blending hot liquid and have even gotten it all over the walls and ceiling because I filled the blender too high with HOT soup. So, please be cautious and careful when blending hot liquids. I like to let it cool for about 15 minutes or so off the heat and then blend in small batches. I would also recommend placing a towel over the blender to catch any splatter if you have a vitamix and hold the lid tight.
Don't over mix the dumpling batter or be tempted to add more flour. It should be very very soft and too sticky to touch. That's why we are using a spoon to drop dumplings in one by one. This soft dough creates the fluffiest dumpling.
More Soup Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Dumpling Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup:
- 2 tablespoon Avocado or Olive Oil
- ½ a Sweet Onion minced
- 2 Large Carrots grated
- 2 Broccoli Stalks grated
- 4 cups Broccoli divided
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth or better than bouillon no-chicken broth
- ¾ cup Cashews soaked or boiled
- ¾ cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Nutritional Yeast
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes optional
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Avocado Oil or neutral oil
- 1 cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Cashew Cream: Boil cashews for 20 minutes or soak overnight.
- Add cashews to a blender along with the water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Make the Soup: Add the oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Mince the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes or until soft. Grate the carrots and the broccoli stems. Add to the pot and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. Add in minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Toss in 3 of the 4 cups of broccoli, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper, and the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Make the Dumplings: When measuring flour be sure to spoon the flour in to a measuring cup instead of packing it in the cup. This will result in a fluffier dumpling. Whisk together the all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Mix together the non-dairy milk and the apple cider vinegar. It should curdle. Add the wet mixture and the oil to the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. Cover and set aside for about 10 minutes. The dough should be soft and sticky.
- Finish it up: Blend ¾ of the soup by carefully transferring it to a blender (in batches) or use an immersion blender. Return to pot and add in the last cup of broccoli and the cashew cream. Bring back to a simmer.
- Add spoonfuls of the dumpling dough to the soup. Cover and cook for 18 minutes. Take off lid and serve! Top with shredded vegan cheese if desired.