This Creamy Vegan Broccoli Pesto Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower is perfect if you're in need of a quick and tasty dinner that doesn't lack in flavor or presentation. This dish is best served with garlic bread and a glass of white wine.
The most delicious Creamy Vegan Broccoli Pesto Pasta comes together featuring finely chopped broccoli, coconut milk, homemade basil pesto, lots of garlic, lemon juice, and topped with crispy roasted cauliflower.
Let's break it down. Make the pesto ahead of time, boil the pasta noodles, finely chop onion and garlic along with the broccoli. Sauté the vegetables until they are starting to brown. Then add in the coconut milk, reserved pasta water, and pesto! Toss in noodles, lemon juice, salt and pepper. That's it! It's ready to serve.
The crispy cauliflower is simply tossed in olive oil and spices and seasonings then baked until crisp! You gotta try this creamy vegan broccoli pesto pasta w/ roasted cauliflower next time you're looking for a fancy at home dinner that doesn't lack in flavor.
You'll need a food processor or blender to make the pesto. Other than that this requires no special equipment.
- Homemade Basil Pesto
- Linguine Pasta Noodles
- Canned Coconut Milk
- Homemade Basil Pesto: Pesto is so incredibly easy to make but store-bought is always an option. Trader Joe's has a vegan pesto that is delicious.
- Linguine Pasta Noodles: I like the look of the linguine in this recipe and love a pasta you can twirl but it truly doesn't matter. Any pasta shape will do.
- Canned Coconut Milk: The coconut milk gives the pasta some body and adds the creamy element. It's delicious and doesn't give the pasta an overwhelming coconut flavor. It's really just there for texture. You could replace this with an unsweetened full-fat oat milk or homemade cashew cream.
Every pasta dish needs a garlic bread side dish! Here's what I recommend:
- Classic garlic bread on crusty bread with fresh garlic, salt, pepper, and fresh parsley and basil. Extra points if you add vegan parmesan or mozzarella on top!
- Vegan Garlic Knots. This is always my top choice. They are easy and over the top delicious.
- Vegan Garlic Parmesan & Herb Star Bread. This one takes a little more effort but it's easy, delicious, and beautiful. This is the one to make if you're trying to impress!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here it is! It's super easy and comes together in under 5 minutes.
Traditional pesto has parmesan cheese in it but can easily be substituted with vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast and trust me when I say that the cheese won’t be missed.
You should use homemade pesto within 3-5 days. The top of the pesto turns brown when stored because it is exposed to air but this can be prevented by adding some more olive oil over the top. You can still eat it if the top turned a little brown.
Yes! Simply reheat this dish by putting the leftover pasta on medium heat and adding a splash of coconut milk, a little more pesto if desired, and a pinch of salt. Toss until heated and plate. I recommend storing the cauliflower in a separate container and reheating at 350F for a few minutes.
More Pasta Recipes
- Roasted Red Pepper Fettuccine
- Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo
- Creamy Vegan Garlic Parmesan Orzo
- Vegan Tofu Bolognese Sauce
Creamy Vegan Broccoli Pesto Pasta w/ Roasted Cauliflower
Creamy Vegan Broccoli Pesto Pasta:
- 8 oz Linguine Pasta
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ cup Sweet Onion minced
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 cup Broccoli finely chopped
- ½ cup Easy Vegan Basil Pesto
- ½ cup Canned Coconut Milk
- ⅓ cup Reserved Pasta Water
- 1-2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
Crispy Roasted Cauliflower:
- 3 cups Cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Make ahead 1 batch of Easy Vegan Basil Pesto. You need ½ cup for this pasta recipe.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Chop cauliflower into bite sized pieces and toss with olive oil and spices and seasoning. Bake for 20-25 minutes until crispy.
- Cook linguine or pasta of choice according to the pasta directions. Don't forget to reserve some of the pasta water.
- Heat a large pan on medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add in the minced onion seasoned with a pinch of salt and cook until softened and starting to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Toss in the minced garlic and finely chopped broccoli and another small pinch of salt and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of the vegan pesto that was prepped ahead and toss to coat. Whisk in the canned coconut milk and reserved pasta water. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Toss in the cooked pasta noodles and lemon juice. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide the pasta on to serving plates and top with roasted cauliflower and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Enjoy!