These Vegan Chicken & Waffles are the perfect brunch recipe to share with your family! Serve this dish with a side of fresh fruit, hot maple butter, extra maple syrup, and a nice hot cup of coffee. Who wouldn't love that? Enjoy!
Vegan Chicken & Waffles is one of those dishes that I can't help but order when I see it on a brunch menu. Sweet waffles, savory crispy vegan chicken, maple syrup, and butter? It's my guilty pleasure for sure!
I opted to use pre-made Gardein chik'n for this because who wants to spend 1 to 2 hours making their own seitan or pressing tofu? Not me! I'd much rather just pull this out of the bag and have the most delicious Vegan Chicken & Waffles ready to be served in about 30 minutes. It's simple, quick, and so tasty! I've also spent a few tries perfecting this waffle recipe. You're not going to find a dense chewy waffle here. It's perfectly fluffy and crisp. Enjoy!
What You Will Need For These Vegan Chicken & Waffles
- Vegan Chicken
- All Purpose Flour
- Maple Syrup
What I Used:
I'm using the Dash Mini Waffle Maker. It's my current obsession! It makes adorable "eggo" style waffles. Here is the link to the one I use.
This is the vegan chicken I recommend using. It's from the brand Gardein. It works perfectly here but if you don't have access you can use pressed tofu or homemade chicken-style seitan.
How To Make The Best Vegan Chicken & Waffles
Don’t over mix the batter. Use a spatula and stir until no raw flour is visible, a few lumps is fine. Stop mixing once combined.
I always ignore the light on the waffle maker and go by the steam. Once the steam stops, the waffle is done. You’ll know the waffles are done when they are lightly golden brown and crisp. Place cooked waffles on a wire rack while the rest cook so they don’t get soggy.
This recipe makes 8 mini waffles and 4 pieces of breaded crispy vegan chicken. This recipe will serve 2 big portions or 4 smaller ones. Both recipes can be easily doubled or halved.
More Breakfast Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Chicken & Waffles
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Organic Cane Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Ground Flaxseeds
- 1 ½ cups Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Melted Butter or Vegetable Oil
Crispy Vegan Chicken:
- 4 Gardein Scallopini Chicken Patties
- ½ cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
Hot Maple Butter:
- 5 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- 1-2 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- Dash of Cayenne Pepper
- Make the Waffles: Whisk together the all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cane sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the unsweetened plant milk with the apple cider vinegar, flaxseed and melted butter or vegetable oil in a separate smaller bowl. Then, set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the wet mixture with the dry and mix until just combined. Do not over mix, a few lumps is fine.
- Heat up and grease your waffle iron. Add a heaping ¼ cup of batter to the Dash mini waffle maker. Cook until the steam stops. I typically ignore the light on the waffle maker and go by looking at the steam but you know your waffle maker best. You'll know the waffles are done when they are lightly golden brown and crisp. This recipe makes 8 waffles in the Dash mini waffle maker. When each waffle is done, place it on a wire rack so they don't become soggy. Continue until all 8 have been made.
- Make the Vegan Crispy Chicken: Lightly cook the gardein scallopini on a pan until no longer frozen. Remove from pan and let cook slightly.
- Whisk together unsweetened plant milk and apple cider vinegar in a swallow bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, breadcrumbs, salt, black pepper, garlic, onion, paprika, and cayenne pepper together.
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat and fill with just enough oil to cover the base of the pan.
- Dip the vegan chicken patties in to the flour mixture, then in to the wet mixture, then back in to the flour mixture. Carefully transfer to the hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes each side or until it's golden brown and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack.
- Make the Hot Maple Butter: Make the hot maple butter spread by whisking together room temperature vegan butter, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- I served my Chicken & Waffles by cutting the vegan chicken in half longways and drizzled my stack with extra maple syrup and a nice spread of the hot maple butter. Enjoy!