If you’re craving fish tacos, this Vegan Fish Tacos recipe won’t disappoint! Crispy battered vegan fish sticks, red cabbage slaw, and homemade tartar sauce make for the ultimate plant-based taco experience!
Fresh yet filling, these delicious crispy battered vegan fish tacos are a fun summer dinner. Load it up with fresh ingredients like my red cabbage slaw, some avocado and cilantro and you'll have yourself a super satisfying and delicious meal.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Flaky, crispy vegan fish made from artichoke hearts and hearts of palm
- Tangy, flavorful vegan tartar sauce
- Crunchy, fresh red cabbage slaw
- Simple and fresh ingredient
These vegan tacos are made with crispy fried vegan fish made from artichoke hearts and hearts of palm with some nori and old bay for added fishy flavor. These tacos are perfect for a fun summer dinner or a meatless Monday meal! Top it off with some tartar sauce and red cabbage slaw for the ultimate experience.
- Homemade Crispy Vegan Fish
- Red Cabbage Slaw
- Easy Vegan Tartar Sauce
- Flour Tortillas
To make these vegan fish tacos, you’ll need to start by making my fish stick recipe, easy vegan tartar sauce and red cabbage slaw. Once you’ve made those, follow the steps below.
- Homemade Crispy Vegan Fish: Crispy, flaky plant-based vegan fish made from artichoke hearts and hearts of palm. It is then battered in a sparkling water batter and shallow fried until golden and crispy.
- Red Cabbage Slaw: This delicious slaw is dressed in fresh lemon juice, dijon mustard and a splash of maple syrup and adds a refreshing element to these tacos.
- Easy Vegan Tartar Sauce: Egg-free tartar sauce is packed with flavor and so much tastier than anything you can buy off the shelf. Made with pickles, capers, vegan mayo and fresh herbs.
How to Make Vegan Fish
I’ve seen vegan fish made from tofu, banana blossoms and even celeriac. Those all sound delicious but I chose to go with a mixture of canned Hearts of Palm and Artichoke Hearts for my homemade vegan fish sticks. Both of these combined give the vegan fish the flaky texture that we are after!
The ingredients are placed in a food processor and pulsed until combined but still flaky and textured. Then, shaped in to 8 fish sticks and battered in a sparkling water batter which creates a super light and crispy exterior. The battered vegan fish is shallow fried until golden crispy.
Full written instructions and ingredients can be found on my blog post for Vegan Fish & Chips.
How to Make Vegan Fish Tacos
Heat up the flour tortillas on an open flame on a gas stove until brown spots appear and the tortilla gets puffy or heat the tortillas on a pan if you have a gas stove for a few seconds each side. Then, add the vegan fish to the tortilla and top with vegan tartar sauce and red cabbage slaw. I love to top it off with cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
This recipe can make anywhere between 8-12 tacos. The vegan fish stick recipe makes 8 pieces of fish but you may not need a whole one per taco. I cut mine in half and layered them and found it perfect but you may want less or more depending on the size of your tortilla.
Speed it up: Make things in advance. The tartar sauce and red cabbage slaw can be made and stored in the fridge for up to a 5 days. The fish is best served day of but can be reheated.
Storage & Reheating:
Storage: I recommend storing everything separately and building the tacos when ready to serve.
Reheating: Reheat the vegan fish in a 350ºF oven for 15 minutes or until hot and crispy.
Freezing: I don't recommend freezing this recipe.
Additions & Substitutions
Additions: Avocado Slices would be delicious. Instead of Tartar Sauce, Spicy Mayo Drizzle would be good or try it with The Best Corn Salsa or Spicy Pineapple Mango Salsa. Add jalapeños for some spice!
Substitutions: You can switch this up however you'd like! All you really need is tortillas, vegan fish and any toppings that you love and a delicious sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gardein makes an incredibly delicious store-bought vegan fish that could be used instead. When you have time, I recommend making the vegan fish from scratch.
Sometimes I do a little mayo mixed with hot sauce and it's super delicious paired with the vegan fish and slaw.
More Taco Recipes You'll Love:
- Smoky Cauliflower Tacos w/ Jalapeño Cilantro Sauce
- Crispy Vegan Green Chili Chicken Tacos
- Crispy Cheesy Black Bean & Potato Tacos
- Vegan Carne Asada Tacos
Vegan Fish Tacos
- 1 Batch Homemade Vegan Fish Sticks
- 1 Batch Vegan Tartar Sauce
- 1 Batch Red Cabbage Slaw
- 8-10 Flour Tortillas
- Lime Wedges for serving
- Cilantro for serving
- Heat up the flour tortillas on an open flame on a gas stove until brown spots appear and the tortilla gets puffy or heat the tortillas on a pan if you have a gas stove for a few seconds each side.
- Built the taco by cutting the vegan fish stick in half longways and placing in the middle of the tortilla, drizzle with tartar sauce and top with red cabbage and cilantro. Squeeze fresh lime over top and enjoy!