My go-to takeout order at my local Vegan Chinese restaurant is Vegan General Tso's Chicken. You guys know I'm on a mission to veganize all my favorite takeout meals! So far we have Vegan Ginger Beef & Vegan Orange Chicken but my absolute favorite has always been General Tso's. I'm not sure why I haven't shared this recipe with you before but here it is and it's perfect! Delicious chicken-style seitan, breaded and fried until crisp, then tossed in a flavorful sauce and served with peppers, broccoli, and rice. Of course, it takes a bit longer than just ordering take-out but I promise that this tastes worth it!
What You Will Need For This Vegan General Tso's Chicken
The best part of this recipe is that is requires no special equipment! The seitan is simply boiled and then fried so the only requirement is a deep pot.
- Chicken Style Seitan
- All Purpose Flour & Breadcrumbs
- Dried Chilis
- Soy Sauce
- Maple Syrup or Agave
If you're short on time use pressed tofu coated in cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder. Toss and pan fry on medium high heat in batches.
Tips & Tricks:
Save time by making the seitan ahead of time.
What should I do with the leftover seitan?
More Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
- Vegan Chicken & Breading:
- 2 Chicken-Style Seitan Cutlets recipe linked makes 4
- Aquafaba from 1 Can of Chickpeas save chickpeas for other recipes
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Panko Breadcrumbs check ingredients
- 2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
General Tso's Sauce
- 1 Shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger minced
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 5-6 Dried Chilis or sub Chili Sauce
- ¼ cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Maple or Agave Syrup
- 2 tbsps Rice Vinegar
- ½ cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- Jasmine Rice
- 1 Red Bell Pepper thinly sliced
- 1-2 cups of Broccoli
- Green Onion for serving
- Sesame Seeds for serving
- Follow the link above and make the chicken-style seitan. Follow the steps for just the seitan and come back to this post for the breading. Note: Recipe makes 4 but you only need 2. See above for ideas on how to serve the remaining seitan or make the orange chicken recipe (it's delicious!!).
- Pour the liquid from the can of chickpeas in to a bowl and save the chickpeas for a later time.
- Add the flour, breadcrumbs, onion powder, salt, and pepper in to a separate bowl.
- Heat roughly half a pot of oil on medium-high heat.
- If serving over rice, start that now.
- Break the 2 seitan cutlets in to bite sized pieces. I like to ripe them instead of cutting to make it more like chicken. Dip the vegan chicken in to dry mixture, then in to the wet mixture, then back in to the dry mixture. Carefully place the breaded vegan chicken in to the hot oil. Fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Repeat until all are breaded and fried. Set aside on a wire rack.
- Mince the shallot, garlic, and ginger. Then, thinly slice the red pepper and chop the broccoli.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high with a few tsps of oil. Sauté the red pepper for a few minutes. Toss in the broccoli, shallot, ginger, garlic, and dried chilis and cook until soft and slightly browning.
- Mix together the soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar, vegetable broth, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Pour over cooked vegetables and stir until slightly thickened. Toss in fried vegan chicken and stir until evenly coated.
- Serve over rice and top with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!