Traditional Huevos Rancheros is a crispy corn tortilla and topped with a fried egg and cooked salsa. To make this vegan we're simply swapping the fried egg with some tofu scramble! Nothing to be missed. Vegan Huevos Rancheros is one of my favorite breakfast foods since it's flavorful, customizable to what I have in the kitchen, and always delicious!
What You Will Need For This Vegan Huevos Rancheros
- Diced Tomato
- Roasted Red Pepper
- Green Chili
- Pinto Beans
- Tofu Scramble
- Corn Tortillas
This recipe is very customizable. You can change or add whatever you'd like to the toppings or use plant based just egg instead of tofu scramble. The only thing I'd keep as written is the ranchero sauce!
Use tostada shells instead of frying corn tortillas to speed up the process.
Let's Break it Down:
This recipe is quite simple. The ranchero sauce comes together very easily by adding the ingredients to a blender and simmering on low while the rest of the ingredients cook. This is basically a warm salsa.
The rest of the steps are really up to you but I love adding refried beans, tofu scramble, fresh pico, sour cream, lettuce, and avocado. Enjoy!
More Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Shallot chopped
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 15 oz can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Roasted Red Pepper from a jar
- 4 oz can Green Chilis
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- Salt to taste I used 1 tsp
- ½ cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 tablespoon Organic Sugar
- 1 can Pinto Beans drained + rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 3-5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- Salt to taste
- Juice of ½ Lime
- ½-3/4 cup of Water
- Half Block of Firm Tofu
- 1-2 tsps Oil
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
Extras for serving:
- 4 Corn Tortillas or 4 Tostadas
- Oil for Frying if using corn tortillas
- ½ cup Soy Chorizo from Trader Joe's
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Roma Tomato
- Romaine Lettuce
- Sour Cream
- Green Onion
- Lime Wedges
- First, make the Ranchero Sauce by heating a pan on medium-high heat with oil. Add diced shallot and cook for a few minutes. Add in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Remove from heat and add to a food processor or blender along with all the other Ranchero Sauce ingredients. Pulse until just combined.
- Pour sauce in a sauce-pan over low heat, covered, while the rest of the ingredients are being prepared.
- Fill the bottom of a sauce pan with oil over medium-high heat. Fry corn tortillas until crispy. This doesn't take long so keep your eye on them. Set aside on a tray lined with paper towels to drain off excess oil.
- Make the re-fried beans by adding oil to a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic. After 1 minute, add in chili powder and cumin. Stir until fragrant. Add pinto beans and salt. Using a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon, mash the beans. Add in water a little bit at a time. If beans get dry, add more water and stir. Take off heat, add in lime juice. Set aside.
- To make the tofu scramble, add oil to a pan over medium heat. Crumble tofu in to pan. Add in onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, paprika, black pepper, salt, and nutritional yeast. Stir only occasionally. Allowing the tofu to get slightly crispy. Toss, let sit again. Total cook time 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add your Soy Chorizo to a small pan in a few drops of oil to slightly crisp up and warm. Set aside.
- Prep your toppings. Slice avocado, de-seed tomato and dice, and thinly slice lettuce.
- Makes 4 one layer tostadas or 2 two layer tostadas. Take 1 tostada and add a generous spoonful of refried beans, soy chorizo, tofu scramble, and ranchero sauce. If doubling up on the tostada, add the other on top. Repeat with more beans, soy chorizo, tofu scramble, and ranchero sauce. Top off with diced tomato, lettuce, avocado, green onion, and a drizzle of vegan sour cream.
- Serve immediately!