Katsu curry meets sushi meets a burger. I can’t believe this tofu katsu curry sushi burger exists but I am oh so happy it does. One of my absolute favorite recipes on my blog is this Tofu Katsu Curry recipe and one of my favorite things to eat is sushi. I knew I had to create this burger as soon as it popped in to my head! I’ve made this a couple times now and I promise you, it’s not hard at all! The only extra thing you’ll need to make this recipe is foil or plastic wrap. If you’ve got that, you can make this!
This Tofu Katsu Curry Sushi Burger seems a little intimidating but don’t let it be! It seems like a lot of steps but it all comes together pretty quickly and all the steps are easy. The most time consuming part of this recipe is forming the burgers so if you aren’t serving all 8 burgers and don’t feel like making all 8, you don’t have to. Use the leftover rice, tofu, and sauce to make a quick veggie stir fry the next day instead.
What You Will Need For This Tofu Katsu Curry Sushi Burger
- Curry Sauce
- Sushi Rice
- Nori Sheets
- Crispy Tofu
How To Make The Best Sushi Burger Every Time
Shaping these seems hard and annoying but it’s actually quite simple. Don’t skip out on using the plastic wrap. It really helps form the bun without sticking all over your hands.
More Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Tofu Katsu Curry Sushi Burger
Sushi Rice Bun:
- 2 cups Sushi Rice
- 3 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
- 2 tbsps Organic Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
For the Crispy Tofu:
- 1 Block of Extra Firm Tofu sliced in to 8 rectangles
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk I used Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Katsu Curry Sauce
- 8 Sheets of Nori
- 8 Pieces of Romaine Lettuce or lettuce of choice
- 1-2 cups Slaw Mix or chopped cabbage + carrots
- To make the Sushi Rice: First, start the sushi rice! Rinse the rice and bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add sushi rice. Cover, lower heat to simmer, and cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn off heat and sit, covered, for another 10 minutes.
- After sushi rice has been cooked, empty the rice in to a large bowl. In a small bowl mix together vinegar, sugar, and salt. Add the vinegar mixture to the sushi rice and stir with a wooden spoon. Cover your sushi rice and place in fridge.
- Make the Curry Sauce: Follow the link above and make the curry sauce.
- To make the Crispy Tofu: You'll need 3 separate bowls. 1st bowl, add flour seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper. 2nd bowl, mix the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar together. 3rd bowl, add the Panko breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove as much water from the tofu as possible. No tofu press needed, I remove a lot of the water by wrapping it in a clean dish towel. Slice tofu in to 8 rectangles.
- Dip the tofu slice in flour, followed by non-dairy milk, and then in to the Panko breadcrumbs. Continue until all tofu is breaded.
- Heat a large pan of medium high heat and cover the base of the pan with oil. Once hot, add tofu to the pan in batches (don't overcrowd the pan). Cook the tofu on each side until golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes each side. Turn down heat as needed. Drain excess oil off crispy tofu on a paper towel. Continue until all tofu has been fried.
- Assembly: Start by placing a piece of plastic wrap (or foil) on a clean surface. Set a small bowl of water near by for dipping your fingers in so the sushi rice doesn't stick to you. On top of the plastic wrap, add 1 sheet of nori.
- Scoop up 1/4 cup of rice and shape it in to the top bottom of the bun by dipping your hands in to water, and rolling the 1/4 cup in to a ball, then placing it in the middle of the nori sheet. Spread the rice out until it's about 1 inch thick.
- Next, add a piece of lettuce, 1 piece of crispy tofu, and a small handful of slaw. Followed by 1/4 cup of curry sauce over the top.
- Next, form another 1/4 cup of rice by gently placing it in the palm of your hand and shaping it. As soon as you place the top bun on top, grab the nori and wrap it up like you would a present. Immediately, pick up the plastic wrap and wrap the burger up tightly.
- Place in the fridge and repeat until you've completed all the burgers. Serve with extra curry sauce for dipping! Enjoy!