If you loved my Vegan Orange Chicken recipe, you’re going to want to try this Vegan Korean Fried Chicken immediately! They are quite similar but this one is tossed in a spicy sauce and served with rice. I’m drooling thinking about this one. It’s a must try if you are a spicy food lover!
For this recipe I am using my absolute favorite chicken-style seitan recipe. It has made quite a few appearances on the blog because it’s the perfect cruelty free replacement for chicken and it happens to be very easy! Form the dough, boil in no-chicken stock for 30 minutes, & done! It’s ready to use! I just know you are going to love this vegan Korean fried chicken recipe. Also, it’s December. How did that happen?! I’m so excited about all the hearty and cozy meals I will be eating and sharing with you all this month.
What You Will Need For This Vegan Korean Fried Chicken
The best part of this recipe is that is requires no special equipment! The seitan is simply boiled and then fried so the only requirement is a deep pot.
- Chicken-Style Seitan
- Coconut Milk
- All purpose flour and breadcrumbs
If you’re short on time use pressed tofu coated in cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder. Toss and pan fry on medium high heat in batches.
Tips & Tricks:
Save time by making the seitan ahead of time.
More Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Korean Fried Chicken
- 1 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/2 cup Silken Tofu
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 3/4 cup Vegan Chicken Broth I recommend No Chicken Bouillon Base
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Sage
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 8-10 cups Vegan Chicken Broth for boiling
- 1 Can of Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Vegan Breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Oil for frying
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup Water
- 3 tbsp Gochujang Sauce I used brand Mother In Law's
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tbsps Cornstarch
- Sesame Seeds for serving
- Green Onions for serving
- Make the Chicken Style Seitan: Add the silken tofu, nutritional yeast, vegan chicken broth, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, sage, thyme, and black pepper to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the vital wheat gluten.
- Add the tofu mixture to the bowl with the vital wheat gluten and combine with a wooden spoon until just combined. Knead the mixture with clean hands for about 1-2 minutes until it comes together.
- Bring a large pot of vegan chicken broth to a boil.
- Pinch off bite-sized chunks of dough and place in boiling vegan chicken broth. Boil for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Make the breading: Whisk together the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar in a shallow dish. Set aside.
- Add the flour, breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a second shallow bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Dip each of the vegan chicken pieces in the flour, then in the coconut milk, then back in the flour, and place on the lined baking tray. Continue until all the chicken pieces have been dredged.
- Heat a large pot of oil on medium-high heat. *Be careful when frying + turn down heat as needed.
- Place carefully in to the hot oil. Fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown, flipping halfway if needed. Drain off excess oil on a wired rack with a baking tray underneath the rack. Continue until all the vegan chicken is breaded and fried. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, whisk all the sauce ingredients together. Then, turn on heat to low and whisk occasionally until thickened. If it gets too thick, add more water.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the fried vegan chicken and toss evenly in the sauce. Serve with rice and sprinkle with sliced green onions and sesame seeds! Enjoy!