This Vegan Lemon Garlic Chicken is becoming my new go-to dinner! This dish includes all my favorite flavors and foods in one! Lemon, yes. Garlic, double yes. Chicken-style seitan, yes please! This dish is the perfect balance of creamy, garlicky, tart, and a hit of salt from the capers. I paired this sauce with pan-seared chicken-style seitan and it's flawless. I love to keep this seitan prepped ahead of time in the fridge so I can get a dinner like this on the table in no time.
What You Will Need For This Vegan Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Chicken-Style Seitan
- Coconut Milk
- Vegetable Broth
Serve this lemon garlic chicken over pasta noodles, mashed potatoes, or roasted vegetables.
Let's Break It Down:
Make the chicken style seitan by mixing the ingredients together and simmering in no-chicken broth. Lightly dredge in flour and cook on a pan until golden brown and crisp. Make the lemon garlic sauce and then simmer the vegan chicken in the sauce. Serve however you'd like and enjoy. Don't forget the capers!
More Recipes You Might Like:
- Creamy Vegan Garlic Parmesan Orzo
- Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Almond Milk
- Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Lemon Garlic Chicken
- 1 ¼ cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- ½ cup Silken Tofu firm will work too
- ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast
- ¾ cup Vegan Chicken Broth I recommend No Chicken Bouillon Base
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Dried Sage
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 8-10 cups Vegan Chicken Broth for boiling
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2-3 tbsps Oil or Vegan Butter for cooking
Lemon Garlic Sauce
- 2 tbsps Vegan Butter
- 1 Shallot
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 tbsps All Purpose Flour I used leftovers from dredge
- ¾ cup No Chicken Broth I recommend No Chicken Bouillon Base
- ½ cup Canned Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsps Nutritional Yeast
- ¼ teaspoon Salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper or to taste
- 2 slices of Lemon
- Parsley for garnish
- 1-2 tbsps Capers for garnish
- Make the Chicken-Style Seitan: Add the silken tofu, nutritional yeast, vegan chicken broth, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, sage, thyme, and black pepper to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the vital wheat gluten. Add the tofu mixture to the bowl with the vital wheat gluten and combine with a wooden spoon until just combined. Knead the mixture with clean hands for about 1-2 minutes until it comes together.
- Bring a large pot of vegan chicken broth to a boil. Divide the dough in to 8 pieces and flatten and stretch with your hands. Add the seitan patties to the boiling broth and lower to a simmer for 40 minutes. Drain the seitan and set aside. Reserve broth if desired. (only need 4 seitan cutlets for this recipe)
- Whisk together the dredging ingredients except the vegan butter or oil.
- Heat a cast iron or saucepan on medium-high heat and add the vegan butter or oil.
- Place the vegan chicken in the flour mixture, shake off excess, then place directly in the pan. Cook for 6-7 minutes each side until golden brown. Once vegan chicken is done cooking, carefully transfer to a wire rack.
- Mince the shallot and garlic. Turn heat down to medium and add the vegan butter to the same pan you cooked the vegan chicken in. Add the shallot and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Don't let it burn.
- Sprinkle in the 2 tbsps of flour and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the no chicken stock and the coconut milk. Add the nutritional yeast, salt to taste, black pepper, and 2 slices of lemon.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until thick. If it gets too thick, add a splash of broth or coconut milk. Once thickened, add the vegan chicken to the sauce and let cook another 1-2 minutes. Turn heat off and serve with extra lemon wedges, capers, and parsley. Enjoy!