So we have a cheese plate, a sweet potato casserole, and now a VEGAN MAPLE GLAZED HOLIDAY ROAST! So many companies are coming out with a vegan turkey or ham that are easy to purchase BUT just as easy to make. If you're interested in making your own roast this Thanksgiving, this vegan maple glazed holiday roast is for you! To compare, this roast that I made is similar in texture to the Field Roast variety. I really enjoyed this roast when served with roasted vegetables, dinner rolls, gravy, and all those traditional Thanksgiving sides.
From start to finish this will take about 2 ½ hours but most of this time will be inactive and give you time to prep other dishes.
What You Will Need For This Vegan Maple Glazed Holiday Roast
A steamer basket is essential because the seitan must be steamed before it's baked.
- Vital Wheat Gluten
- Seasonings & Herbs
- Soy Sauce
- Maple Syrup
I don’t recommend making any substitutions to the dough itself. This recipe was tested multiple times and this was the best outcome.
How To Make The Best Vegan Holiday Roast Every Time
The second bake depends on your oven. The loaf should be very firm. If it's still soft, bake for 20-30 more minutes without the foil. If it's firm, bake for 10 more minutes without the foil. And make sure you use all that maple glaze!!
More Holiday Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
- Vegan Roast:
- 1 ½ cups Vital Wheat Gluten
- ¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Ground Sage
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Silken Tofu
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 3 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- Add the vital wheat gluten, all purpose flour, nutritional yeast, and all the spices to a bowl and combine. In a food processor or blender add the silken tofu, soy sauce, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, and the vegetable broth. Blend until smooth.
- Combine the wet mixture in to the dry. Mix with hands until no dry flour is visible. Continue to knead for 1 minute. Roll the seitan in to a short log and wrap it in foil.
- Boil half pot of water. Place loaf in a steamer basket and steam for 45 minutes.
- Remove from steamer and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Then, unwrap and remove from the foil. Score the loaf by slicing diagonal one way then the other way creating squares. Place loaf on to a baking tray and brush with ⅓ of the glaze.
- Surround the loaf with largely chopped seasoned vegetables like potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, and onion. Cover tray with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove foil and brush with half of the remaining glaze.
- Now, this second bake depends on your oven. The loaf should be very firm. If it's still soft, bake for 20-30 more minutes without the foil. If it's firm, bake for 10 more minutes without the foil. Brush the loaf with the remaining glaze.
- Thinly slice and serve & enjoy! *I cut mine thick for the photo but I highly recommend cutting them in to thinner slices.