I know what you're thinking. "Peanut butter & jelly AND a Crispy Chicken Sandwich in one? Why? No way that's good." Well, I'm here to prove you wrong! This Vegan Peanut Butter & Jelly Crispy Chicken Sandwich sounds strange but this combo works so well together. A delicious and crispy chicken-style seitan topped with vegan bacon, a savory peanut butter mayo, and a sweet grape jelly glaze. Sweet, savory and crunchy! What more could you need?
Let's break it down:
This sandwich comes together quick and simple once you make the chicken-style seitan. The seitan isn't hard to make but it does take about 1 hour so I recommend making it ahead of time. Even the night before could do! Whisk together a flour dredge and a flaxseed mix. Bread and fry until golden brown and crispy.
Next, make the peanut butter mayo. This peanut sauce is absolutely delicious! It's super savory and the perfect addition to this sandwich. Follow it up by making a grape jelly glaze of just two ingredients. 1 being water! Then, crisp up your favorite vegan bacon. Mine is Sweet Earth! Finish it up by building your Vegan Peanut Butter & Jelly Crispy Chicken Sandwich and enjoy.
What You Will Need For This Vegan Peanut Butter & Jelly Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Chicken-Style Seitan or Store-bought Vegan Chicken Cutlet (Not breaded)
- Vegan Mayo
- Peanut Butter
- Grape Jelly
- Potato Buns
- Vegan Bacon
Chicken Style Seitan: My recipe can be found here under the recipe for Vegan Orange Chicken. Divide the seitan dough in to 6 pieces and simmer in vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth for 40-45 minutes. If you're short on time, use extra firm pressed tofu or an un-breaded vegan chicken cutlet. Gardein has a great one!
How To Make The Best Vegan Chicken Sandwich
Use a chicken patty that you love. See above for what I recommend. If you aren't a fan of seitan, simply use tofu! I would recommend pressing the tofu for at least 15 minutes to remove some of the excess water.
More Sandwich Recipes You Might Like:
- Buffalo Cauliflower Sandwich w/ Vegan Bleu Cheese Dressing
- Grilled Pineapple BBQ Seitan Sandwich
- Vegan Tandoori Chicken Sandwich
If you make this recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Peanut Butter & Jelly Crispy Chicken Sandwich
Crispy Vegan Chicken Sandwich:
- 6 Chicken-Style Seitan Patties see note for recipe
- ¾ cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¾ cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup Ground Flaxseed
- 6 Potato Burger Buns
- 8-12 slices of Veggie Bacon I used Sweet Earth
- Oil for frying
Peanut Butter Mayo:
- ¼ cup Vegan Mayo
- ⅓ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- Pinch of Salt to taste
Grape Jelly Glaze:
- ⅔ cup Grape Jelly
- ⅓ cup Water
- Make chicken-style seitan from recipe linked above. It should take about 1 hour to make. If short on time, use pre-made vegan un-breaded chicken patty or pressed tofu.
- Whisk together the all purpose flour, cornstarch, paprika, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder in a shallow bowl.
- Whisk together the non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar and flaxseed in a separate shallow bowl. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Dip the chicken-style seitan in to the flour mixture, then in to the flaxseed mixture, and then back in to the flour mixture. Set aside until all the seitan patties have been dredged.
- Fill a medium sized pot a little less than halfway filled with vegetable oil. Once hot, add breaded seitan patty in to the fryer and cook for 6-9 minutes or until it's golden brown and crispy. Drain excess oil off on wire rack and continue until all the patties have been fried.
- Finely mince the garlic cloves. Add the garlic to a small bowl along with the remaining peanut butter mayo ingredients and whisk until well combined and creamy. If you're peanut butter isn't super creamy, add a splash of water.
- Whisk together the grape jelly and water in a small pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the jelly has slightly thickened and sticks to the back of a spoon. Transfer to a bowl. The glaze thickens as it cools.
- Cook the veggie bacon according to package and butter the potato buns and toast in the oven on broil or on a pan.
- Assemble the sandwich by adding a nice layer of peanut butter mayo followed by the crispy chicken, veggie bacon, another drizzle of the peanut butter mayo, and finished by a healthy drizzle of the grape jelly glaze. Close the sandwich and enjoy!!!