I’m in love! These Vegan Pumpkin Spice Soft Pretzels are soft, fluffy, and coated in warming pumpkin pie spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove. Homemade pretzels are very fun to make and actually quite simple.
First, make a dough. The dough is simple and made even more simple by a stand mixer. Then, cover and let rise for 1 hour in a cozy warm spot. I love to place mine in a sunny window but placing it in the oven with the oven light on works great too if it’s a cold or cloudy day. Next up is the fun part. Creating the perfect classic pretzel shape seems a little hard but it’s easy. If you are unsure, watch a quick YouTube video and you’ll pick it up easily. The pretzels get boiled in a baking soda bath for a few seconds and then baked until golden. After that we can coat them in melted vegan butter and toss them in a pumpkin pie spice sugar mix. Serve immediately and enjoy!
What You Will Need For These Vegan Pumpkin Spice Soft Pretzels
A Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer is very handy here to make a quick and easy dough but you can also do it by hand with a little more effort.
- All Purpose Flour
- Instant Yeast
- Vegan Butter
- Organic Cane Sugar
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Instant Yeast: Can be substituted with active dry yeast. Instant yeast and active dry yeast are pretty much interchangeable BUT don’t forget to activate the yeast by dissolving it in a portion of the warm water first.
- Organic Cane Sugar: Not all sugar is vegan. I like to use organic cane sugar from the brand Florida Crystals. Any white sugar or light brown sugar will work as well.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: Pumpkin Pie Spice is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, all spice, and ginger. If you don’t have the blend already, make your own! Here’s a recipe!
How to Make the Best Vegan Pumpkin Spice Soft Pretzels
The temperature of the water is very important. The warm water needs to between 120-130F in order to activate the yeast. If it’s too hot, the yeast will die. If it’s too cold, it won’t activate. A thermometer is recommended.
Soft pretzels are best served fresh but can be frozen and thawed.
More Sweet Recipes You Might Like:
- Vegan Pumpkin Bars w/ Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Tart
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Soft Pretzels
- 1 Package of Instant Yeast 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water 120-130F
- 1 tablespoon Melted Vegan Butter
- 2 tablespoons Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 3/4 - 4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Baking Soda for boiling
- 6-8 cups Water for boiling
Pumpkin Spice Coating:
- 3 tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Attach the dough hook to a stand mixer. Combine the instant yeast, warm water (make sure the temperature is between 120-130F), salt, melted vegan butter, and organic cane sugar. Slowly add in the flour, cup by cup. When the dough bounces back when touched and is sticky but not sticking to your hands - stop adding flour.
- Cover the dough with a clean cloth and place somewhere warm for 1 hour or until doubled in size. I like to use my oven with an oven light on or in a sunny window.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- After the dough has risen, divide in to 8 equal pieces. Use your hands and roll each dough in to a long rope. Make a U shape and twist the open ends together twice. Fold the twist over the end of the U to create that classic pretzel shape. Press the ends of the twists to seal. Set aside and continue until all 8 are shaped.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and slowly add the baking soda. When the water is boiling, add each pretzel in the baking soda bath for 20 seconds.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until nice and golden. Let cool for a few minutes while you prepare the pumpkin spice sugar.
- Combine the sugar and the pumpkin spice in to a shallow bowl. Mix together well.
- Melt 3 tablespoons vegan butter.
- Brush the front and back of the baked soft pretzel with the melted butter and coat in the pumpkin spice sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!