I love these Vegan Scallion Pancakes w/ Mango Salsa so much! If you’ve never had a scallion pancake, you gotta try them. It’s flaky, crispy, yet still chewy and filled with scallions (which are my fave!!) I wanted to learn how to make these not only because they are delicious but because I’ve already covered all my favorite Chinese take-out dishes. Now we must move on to my favorite part of take-out, the appetizer!
Usually I see scallion pancakes served with a soy sauce and chili dipping sauce but they are salty enough and I don’t think it adds much. But when served with mango salsa, I could eat these all day! Seriously, I made these for 3 days straight trying to get them perfect and I never once said “I can’t eat anymore scallion pancakes!” Honestly, I would make them again right now. They are that good.
What You Will Need For These Vegan Scallion Pancakes w/ Mango Salsa
- All Purpose Flour
- Melted Vegan Butter
I don’t recommend substituting anything in the scallion pancake. I tested this recipe multiple times and this was the best outcome. As for the mango salsa, add and subtract whatever you enjoy!
How To Make The Best Vegan Scallion Pancakes Every Time
Rolling these out thin is very very important. If you don’t roll them out thin enough the final product will be gummy inside and not super pleasant. By rolling them out it allows them to cook quick and all the way through creating that flakiness that we are looking for.
More Recipes You Might Like
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Scallion Pancakes w/ Mango Salsa
Scallion Pancake Dough:
- 2 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 cup Boiling Water
- 2 tsp Oil I used olive oil but any will work
- 5 tbsp Melted Vegan Butter I recommend Earth Balance
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 1/4 cup Scallions thinly sliced
- 1 Ripe Mango diced
- 1/4 cup Red Onion minced
- 1/3 cup Red Bell Pepper minced
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 3-4 tbsp Scallions
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Whisk together the all purpose flour and salt to a medium-sized bowl. Then, bring 1 1/4 cups of water to a boil. Add the hot water to the dough along with the oil. Mix with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms.
- By this time, the dough will still be hot but cool enough for you to handle it. Place the dough on a clean surface and bring the dough together using your hands. Knead dough for 5 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Dice the mango and mince the red onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and scallions. Place in a medium-sized bowl along with the mango. Add the juice of 1 lime and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- To make the seasoning paste, melt the vegan butter in a pan on low heat. Set aside to cool for a few minutes. Add the flour, salt, pepper, Chinese five spice, and onion powder to a small bowl. Add the melted butter and whisk together. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the scallions. I used the white and green parts. If you prefer less of an onion flavor, use only the green. Set aside.
- Lightly flour a clean surface. Place the dough on to the surface and cut in to 6 even pieces. Take 5 of the pieces and place back under the damp cloth.
- Roll out 1 piece of dough in to a thin rectangle. Doesn't have to be perfect but make it as thin as possible, roughly 1/8in thick.
- Then, brush a thin layer of the seasoning paste over the dough. Sprinkle on a good amount of scallions then roll up the dough away from you, long way facing you. Like how you would roll up cinnamon roll dough.
- Now, start from 1 end and create a coil. Similar to a cinnamon roll. Cover with a damp towel and continue until all 6 scallion pancakes have been rolled.
- Working with 1 coil at a time, carefully roll out the dough until it's about 1/4in thick. Keep it in a circle as much as possible. Continue until all 6 pancakes have been rolled out.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat with 1 tbsp of oil. Once hot, add the scallion pancake and cook for a total of 10-12 minutes. Flip pancakes over often until they are golden brown and crispy on both sides. Remove and place on wire rack. Continue until all 6 pancakes have been cooked. Cut in to wedges and serve with mango salsa. Enjoy!!!