You need these Vegan Tikka Masala Wings in your life! One of the most popular recipes on this blog is my Vegan Cajun Wings. For good reason, of course. They are absolutely delicious! Flavorful chicken-style seitan wrapped in a rice paper “skin” then fried until crisp. Yum! I said when I first made these and I’ll say it again, these are the best vegan wings I’ve had to date!
These Vegan Tikka Masala Wings are made with seitan. A lot of people get intimidated when it comes to making their own seitan but I can assure you it is very simple. It has a meaty texture and can be flavored however you desire! In this case, we are mimicking chicken by using sage, thyme, onion powder, & no-chicken bouillon base. Simply blend the ingredients together, add in vital wheat gluten, knead for a few minutes, shape, and boil! Making seitan takes a little while because we have to make the dough and pre-cook them before frying but the steps are simple and you can make the sauce while you wait.
Let’s talk about the Tikka Masala sauce:
Tikka Masala is usually marinated chicken tossed in a creamy tomato based curry sauce. It is one of my non-vegan boyfriends favorite dishes! It’s so flavorful, creamy, and rich. This dish includes spices like garam masala, coriander, cumin, and turmeric which makes this such a comforting and incredibly flavorful sauce. I make Tikka Masala very often in my house and actually have a recipe on my blog which is where this sauce comes from. I had the idea to put this tasty sauce on a vegan chicken wing and it’s as good as it sounds. You gotta try this! All right, let’s make some Vegan Tikka Masala Wings.
What You Will Need For These Vegan Tikka Masala Wings
- Vital Wheat Gluten
- Silken Tofu
- No-Chicken Broth
- Rice Paper
- Garam Masala
- Coconut Milk
Things you need to know about this recipe:
This seitan “chicken” wings can be made and used immediately or covered and kept in the fridge overnight to speed up this process.
This tikka masala sauce recipe below is more than you will need for this recipe. Feel free to half the recipe or reserve the remaining sauce to serve with some pan-fried or baked tofu along with some rice. Yum!
In the Cajun Wing recipe I added a skewer stick to make these easier to pick up but I didn’t use them in this recipe. Include it or don’t, it doesn’t matter.
More Recipes You Might Like
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Tikka Masala Wings
Vegan Chicken Wings:
- 1 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/2 cup Silken Tofu
- 3/4 cup Vegan No-Chicken Broth I recommend No-Chicken Bouillon Base
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Sage
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 8-10 cups Vegan Chicken Broth for boiling
Rice Paper & Dredge:
- 6 Sheets Rice Paper cut in half to make 12
- 1/2 cup Non-Dairy Milk or sub Aquafaba
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- Oil for frying
Tikka Masala Sauce:
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Medium Sized Onion
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 cup Water or Vegan No-Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Ground Chili Pepper
- 15 oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 can Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- 1/2 – 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Cilantro for serving
- Vegan Chicken Wings: Add the silken tofu, nutritional yeast, vegan chicken broth, salt, onion powder, sage, thyme, and black pepper to a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add mixture in to a medium sized bowl along with the vital wheat gluten.
- Mix to combine with a wooden spoon. Knead the mixture with clean hands for a few minutes until the dough has come together and the gluten is developing.
- Bring a large pot of vegan no-chicken broth to a boil.
- Divide the dough in to 12 pieces and shape them in to wings. See video above.
- Carefully place them in the no-chicken broth and boil for 40 minutes. Remove from boiling broth and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Tikka Masala Sauce: Add 1-2 tbsps of oil to a large pan on medium-high heat. Mince the onion and add to the pan. After about 10 minutes, add the minced ginger and minced garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Then, add the tomato paste, garam masala, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and salt. Mix well and cook for about 2 minutes. Mix frequently and be careful not to burn.
- Deglaze the pan with the can of tomato sauce, no-chicken broth, & chili powder. Simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- After 20 minutes of simmering, whisk in the can of coconut milk. Simmer for 15 more minutes. Add red pepper flakes and more salt, if desired. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Rice Paper "Skin" & Dredge: Add hot water to a large bowl. Or use leftover warm no-chicken broth that you used to cook the wings once it has cooled.
- Dip 1 piece of rice paper in hot water and soak for a few seconds until soft. Cut it in half. Then, wrap one "chicken" wing in the rice paper. Try to cover all sides. Set wing back on wire rack. Once the rice paper dries and gets slightly sticky, you’ll be able to press the rice paper down to coat more evenly. Continue until all wings have been wrapped in rice paper.
- In a small shallow bowl, add the non-dairy milk or aquafaba. Then, in a separate shallow bowl, add the all purpose flour and seasonings.
- Toss one wing in to the dry flour mixture, coat evenly, and shake off excess. Then, toss in non-dairy milk. Toss back in to the dry mixture, evenly coat the wing, and shake off excess. If using, place your skewer stick in to the bottom part of the wing. Set back on wire rack. Continue until all wings have been tossed in the dredge.
- Frying Wings & Serving: Place a small pot filled halfway with oil on medium-high heat. * I use a small pot so I can use less oil. Just fry 2 or 3 at a time.
- Once oil is about 300°–325°, fry the "chicken" wings about 3-5 minutes OR until golden brown and crispy. Flipping with tongs, if needed. Remove golden brown "chicken" wings and place on a wire rack with a baking tray underneath to catch the oil. Continue until all wings have been fried.
- Return the sauce to a simmer to heat up and toss the fried "chicken" wings in the tikka masala sauce. Once the wings have been coated and the sauce is warm, remove from heat and serve immediately!