Learn How to Make Homemade Creamy Cashew Butter that is cheaper and way better than store-bought! This Cashew Butter recipe is ultra-creamy and rich and perfect for spreading on toast or adding it to oatmeal, smoothies, and baked goods.
Making your own creamy cashew butter is made simple by using a high-powered blender or food processor and can be ready in 5 minutes! Customize the flavors by adding spices, cocoa powder, or a variation of nuts. This creamy homemade cashew butter recipe is delicious, versatile, and packed with nutritional benefits.
A food processor or high-speed blender is essential for this recipe. I use a Ninja food processor and it works beautifully for this recipe.
Make your own cashew butter in minutes using just a few simple ingredients and a food processor!
- Whole Roasted Unsalted Cashews
- Olive Oil
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Roasted Cashews: You can use this method to make any creamy nut butter. Homemade peanut butter, macadamia nuts, almond butter or hazelnuts. If you have a nut allergy, try making sunflower seed butter.
- Olive Oil: I prefer olive oil for this but coconut oil and any neutral oil will also work. Keep in mind that it will solidify a bit more in the fridge and you'll have to leave it out for a few minutes at food temperature to soften.
How to Make This Recipe
Full ingredients and instructions are written in the recipe card below.
Making homemade cashew butter is super simple! If you purchased raw cashew nuts, simply spread them out onto a baking sheet and roast them for a few minutes until lightly toasted. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Add the roasted unsalted cashews, olive oil, and a pinch of salt to the food processor and start blending. Stop every few minutes or so and scrape down the sides of the blender or sides of the food processor.
The mixture will first turn into a crumbly mixture and then into a really thick paste and then into a creamy smooth and delicious cashew butter. Towards the middle of this process, you might start thinking that there is no way this will work but just keep blending. You shouldn't need additional oil or any else to get it moving. The whole process should take about 5-10 minutes to reach the desired consistency, depending on your food processor. It took about 7 minutes in mine.
Store the cashew butter in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month. I like to save glass jars from store-bought products and keep my own nut butter in them!
Watch the Video!
In this video, you'll see the stages of cashew butter before it becomes the smooth and creamy texture that we want! It takes a bit of time but it's low effort and it's absolutely delicious!
Ways to Use Cashew Butter:
The options on how to use cashew butter are endless! This creamy cashew butter recipe is perfect on sweet dishes like smoothie bowls and oatmeal but go well when mixed into salad dressings and pasta dishes.
- On toast with toppings like bananas, maple syrup drizzle, hemp seeds or jam.
- Serve on top of oatmeal or smoothie bowls.
- Put in smoothies to make them creamy and more filling.
- Use as a dip for apple slices or bananas.
- Replacement for peanut butter in this Easy Peanut Sauce recipe.
- Use in replace of peanut butter or almond butter in protein energy balls, cookie recipes, brownies, blondies, and more!
- Stir into pasta and thin out with water to create the easiest cashew cream sauce ever! Add seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and herbs.
- Use in replace coconut milk in curries to add a creamy element.
- Make homemade salad dressings. I love adding a spoonful of cashew butter to fresh herbs, lemon juice, and dijon mustard.
Nut Butter Variations
- Dark Chocolate: Add cocoa powder for chocolate cashew butter.
- Chocolate Swirl: Mix cocoa powder in to half of the butter and swirl in to the remaining cashew butter.
- Cinnamon Maple: Add a small splash of maple syrup and cinnamon!
- Chai Spiced: Add a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, cloves, and ginger.
- Vanilla: Add a dash of vanilla extract or vanilla beans.
- Cinnamon Raisin: Stir in raisins and cinnamon to create a cinnamon raisin swirl flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is absolutely cheaper to make this homemade cashew butter recipe at home than to buy store-bought. Cashew butter can be priced from $7-$15 a jar whereas buying a large bag of whole cashews would cost the same amount of money but you'd get twice the amount of cashew butter. I prefer to buy cashews at Costco or Trader Joe's.
Store homemade cashew butter in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to a month.
Any food processor or high-speed blender should work. I use one from Ninja and it works beautifully!
Nope! Don't soak the cashews when making nut butter.
Keep going! Don't add anything or you'll likely mess up the texture. Homemade nut butter takes time to get smooth and creamy but it will happen.
More Cashew Recipes
- Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo
- Butternut Squash & Chickpea Cashew Curry
- Butternut Squash & Chickpea Cashew Curry
How to Make Homemade Creamy Cashew Butter
- 3 Cups Roasted Unsalted Cashews
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- If your cashews are raw, spread evenly on a baking tray and roast them at 350F for 8-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted cashews to a food processor along with the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Omit the salt if the cashews used are already salted.
- Starting blending and stop every few minutes to scrap down the sides. When the cashews start to blend it'll turn in to a very crumbly mixture but keep going. When it starts to process down in to a butter, it starts off super thick!! But don't add anything, just keep blending and scraping down the sides. This thick mixture will eventually turn in to a smooth and creamy cashew butter. This whole process should take about 5-10 minutes. It took exactly 7 minutes in my food process to become smooth and creamy.
- Add other flavors to the nut butter, if desired. See above for flavor variations.
- Transfer the cashew butter to a tightly sealed jar and store for up to a month. Enjoy!