This Easy Vegan Gravy is a must have holiday classic. This delicious yet simple gravy pairs well with my Roasted Garlic & Herb Mashed Potatoes and with a Vegan Holiday Roast. To make this gravy simply combine the vegetable broth, soy sauce, fresh herbs, onion, and garlic. Simmer until thickened. Remove herbs, onions, and garlic with a slotted spoon and then the gravy is ready to be served! It comes together within about 15 minutes and is full of flavor!
There is not much to the gravy that was on the thanksgiving table before going vegan. It’s usually turkey juice (not a good way to word that unfortunately), butter, broth, flour, and seasonings. That’s basically what I did here but minus the turkey juice (again, I’m sorry). Making a vegan gravy is so simple and tastes just as delicious and flavorful. Put this all over your mashed potatoes, vegan holiday roast, and roasted vegetables! Even non-vegans will love this.
What You Will Need For This Easy Vegan Gravy
A strainer or slotted spoon is necessary for this recipe as we will be simmering onions and garlic in the sauce but the they will be removed before serving.
- Vegetable Broth
- Fresh Herbs
- Sweet Onions
What I Used:
- Vegan Butter: I used Earth Balance. It’s my favorite brand of vegan butter.
- Vegetable Broth: Better than Bouillon is my favorite brand of vegetable broth. It’s just a base that you mix with water.
How To Make The Best Easy Vegan Gravy
The greatest thing about this recipe is how quick and easy it is but without lacking flavor. Don’t skip those fresh herbs. I’m a big big big fan of dried herbs but in this case, it’s not gonna work out. You want the flavor of the herbs and that’s only going to happen if you simmer the fresh herbs in the broth with the onion and garlic.
More Holiday Recipes You Might Like:
- Roasted Garlic & Herb Mashed Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole w/ Marshmallow Meringue
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Tart
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Easy Vegan Gravy
- 1/4 of a Yellow Onion
- 3-5 Whole Garlic Cloves
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
- 2-3 Fresh Sage Leaves
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- Black Pepper to taste
- Slice the 1/4 of a yellow onion in to thick slices and peel the garlic cloves.
- Melt the vegan butter in a sauce pan on medium-high heat. Once melted, add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over and stir until no raw flour is visible.
- Add in the fresh herbs and pour in the vegetable broth, soy sauce, and black pepper. Whisk together. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Use a slotted spoon or strainer to remove the herbs, onion, and garlic.
- Taste and season with addition black pepper and salt if needed.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and vegan holiday roast.