This Easy Vegan Gravy is made with just 6 essential ingredients and is ridiculously easy to make! Flavorful, rich, customizable, and can be made in under 20 minutes.
This gravy recipe is perfect for the Holidays or for serving over Almond Milk Mashed Potatoes any day of the year.
Unlike many vegan gravy recipes, this one is smooth! Onions and garlic are added and simmered in the gravy for flavor but are strained out to create a smooth and creamy vegan gravy.
Is Gravy Vegan?
There are two main different types of gravy. Brown gravy and white gravy. Brown gravy is typically made with beef broth with no added milk and white gravy is made with milk instead of broth to give it a creamier, lighter color.
Neither are traditionally vegan! But luckily, it’s super easy to make your own homemade gravy without milk or beef broth right at home.
Making your own vegan gravy without milk is super simple and just as good! Saucy, flavorful, customizable, and perfect for holidays, for topping mashed potatoes, vegan steak, lentil loaf and more. You’re going to love this easy vegan recipe.
- Vegan Butter
- Yellow Onion
- All Purpose Flour
- Fresh Herbs
- Vegetable Broth
Quick and easy vegan brown gravy can be made with just a few simple ingredients like vegetable broth, soy sauce, onions, garlic and flour. Herbs are optional but recommended for added flavor!
- Vegan Butter: I love the richness and flavor butter brings but you can use olive oil or coconut oil.
- Yellow Onion & Garlic: Adds flavor to our gravy but they are both kept in the whole form so that they can be strained out and we’ll be left with a smooth gravy. If you don’t want to use yellow onion or garlic, use garlic powder and onion powder.
- All Purpose Flour: Helps thicken the gravy! If you’re gluten-free, use gluten-free flour.
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce: Flavor and umami!
- Fresh Herbs: You can also use dried herbs instead of fresh ones. I added fresh rosemary, and fresh thyme and rubbed sage. Herbs are optional but recommended if you have them.
- Vegetable Broth: The base of our gravy is vegetable stock. A lot of gravy recipes contain milk but this vegan recipe is a dairy-free gravy but it is still just as delicious!
How to Make This Recipe
Slice ¼ of a yellow onion into thick slices and peel the garlic cloves.
Melt the vegan butter in a saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic to the melted butter. No need to chop or dice- they are there for flavor and will be removed.
Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over the onion and garlic and stir until no raw flour is visible.
Add in the fresh or dried herbs and pour in the vegetable broth, soy sauce, and black pepper. Whisk together. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer on low for 15-20 minutes or until reduced.
Use a slotted spoon or strainer to remove the herbs, onion, and garlic.
Taste and adjust black pepper and salt to taste. Serve!
Want a chunkier gravy? No worries! Dice the onion and garlic and leave them in there.
Love mushrooms? Use mushroom broth or add fresh mushrooms in with the onions and garlic to create a vegan mushroom gravy.
Want a creamy gravy? Substitute the vegetable broth with unsweetened soy milk or any of your favorite milk substitutes to create a delicious white gravy. You will need to add more seasonings and salt.
Want a thinner gravy? Simmer for less time.
Add a different flavor? Make a white pepper gravy by adding white pepper. This is especially good with an added creamy ingredient and served over hot biscuits.
Make a sausage gravy? Use your favorite store-bought vegan sausage or make it homemade. Crumble and add to the gravy!
Vegan gravy is a Thanksgiving or Christmas staple on my dinner table during the holiday season. But mashed potatoes and this homemade gravy recipe can be served year-round.
Here are my favorite ways to serve this delicious, flavorful gravy recipe.
- Serve over Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes or with these Mini Hasselback Potatoes.
- Add some crumbled vegan sausage and serve over vegan biscuits to make Homemade Biscuits & Gravy!
- Serve with a lentil-based vegan meatloaf or served over Vegan Steak.
- Drizzle over Vegan Fried Chicken or Tofu Nuggets and serve with mashed potatoes and a roasted vegetable.
- Serve with your favorite Thanksgiving or Christmas dishes like Green Beans, Stuffing, Dinner Rolls, Vegan Ham or Vegan Turkey!
Storage: Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container or jar for up to 5 days.
Reheating: Simply reheat on the stovetop on medium-low heat until warmed through. It will slightly thicken when cooled but will return to liquid form when heated. Add a splash of water if desired.
Freeze: Allow to cool completely then store in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Simply replace the all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour as well as switch the soy sauce for tamari.
Nope! If you want chunky gravy, feel free to chop them up and leave them in there.
Yep! I used fresh rosemary and thyme because I had that on hand but did use rubbed sage instead of fresh. I recommend using dried leaves and not ground herbs.
More Side Dishes You’ll Love
- Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Almond Milk
- Creamy Vegan Garlic Parmesan Orzo
- Garlic Rosemary Mini Hasselback Potatoes
Easy Vegan Gravy
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Butter
- ¼ of a Yellow Onion
- 3-5 Garlic Cloves whole
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 Spring Thyme
- 1 Spring Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Rubbed Sage
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 tablespoon Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper more to taste
- Slice the ¼ of a yellow onion in to thick slices and peel the garlic cloves.
- Melt the vegan butter in a sauce pan on medium-high heat. Once melted, add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over and stir until no raw flour is visible.
- Add in the fresh herbs and pour in the vegetable broth, soy sauce, and black pepper. Whisk together. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Use a slotted spoon or strainer to remove the herbs, onion, and garlic.
- Taste and adjust black pepper to taste. Serve!
Absolutely wonderful! So flavorful & easy. It's a Thanksgiving hit.
Great to hear!! 🙂