Growing up I ate a lot of chili and vegan buttermilk cornbread! It’s still to this day the thing I look forward to most when fall comes around. I enjoy the coziness of the dish, it’s filling, and keeps ya warm! I just posted a delicious Spicy Three Bean Butternut Squash Chili and it’s amazing but chili without cornbread is not as satisfying. So here’s the fluffiest, most delicious vegan buttermilk cornbread! It’s best served buttered with a drizzle of maple syrup. Yum!
Sometimes cornbread is savory and sometimes it’s sweet. For me personally, I prefer the one that has a touch of sweetness. I used 1/4 cup of brown sugar for mine and it was the perfect amount of sweetness and when mixed with a spicy bowl of chili, it’s nice and balanced!
- All Purpose Flour
- Brown Sugar
- Soy Milk
- White Vinegar
- Vegan Butter
- All Purpose Flour: While I haven’t tested any other flour with this recipe, I can see Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour working well. Texture might differ a bit though. Let me know if you try this GF.
- Soy Milk: Yes, you can use unsweetened almond milk or oat milk. I just prefer soy milk for recipes like this because the protein content is higher which helps with the structure of the bread.
- White Vinegar: Apple Cider Vinegar will work as well.
- Ground Flaxseed: I haven’t tried another “egg” replacement but ground chia seeds mixed with water or a powder egg replacement that you can find in most grocery stores are worth a try!
Tips & Tricks:
Allow the soy milk and white vinegar to sit for a few minutes to allow to curdle. That will create the buttermilk. Same with the flax “egg”, mix together and let sit to thicken.
Don’t over mix. Mix the batter until it’s just combined and then pour in to an 8×8 pan.
How to Serve Cornbread:
Cornbread is best served with a bowl of chili especially my Spicy Three Bean Butternut Squash Chili. I love to butter the cornbread and crumble it in the bowl chili… So good!
More Fall Inspired Recipes You Might Like:
- Spicy Three Bean Butternut Squash Chili
- Brussels Sprout & Sweet Potato Salad
- Creamy Vegetable Gnocchi Soup
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!Print
Growing up I ate a lot of chili and cornbread! It’s still to this day the thing I look forward to most when fall comes around. I enjoy the coziness of the dish, it’s filling, and keeps ya warm! I just posted a delicious Spicy Three Bean Butternut Squash Chili and it’s amazing but chili without cornbread is not as satisfying. So here’s the fluffiest, most delicious cornbread! It’s best served buttered with a drizzle of maple syrup. Yum!
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/4 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk
- 1 tablespoon White Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Ground Flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1/2 cup Melted Vegan Butter
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the unsweetened soy milk and the white vinegar. Set aside and it will slightly curdle. This is our “buttermilk” replacement.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ground flaxseed and water. Set aside to thicken. This is acting as our egg replacement.
- Melt the vegan butter on the stove top or in the microwave.
- Add the melted butter and thickened flaxseed to the buttermilk and whisk together.
- Pour the wet mixture in to the dry mixture and fold until just combined and no dry flour remains. Don’t over mix.
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment and spray or brush with a bit of oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Top cornbread with vegan butter and maple syrup if desired. Enjoy with a big bowl of Spicy Three Bean Butternut Squash Chili.
Cling wrap leftovers and leave at room temperature. Microwave for a few seconds to reheat.
Keywords: cornbread, cornbread recipe, easy cornbread, vegan cornbread, vegan buttermilk cornbread, buttermilk cornbread