Here’s the recipe to what is now going to be your favorite sandwich! This Roasted Vegetable Sandwich w/ Tofu Ricotta is sure to impress. Delicious crusty sourdough bread slathered with homemade tofu ricotta and filled with roasted eggplant, red pepper, and zucchini finished off with a lemony arugula salad. Flavorful, fresh, and so satisfying. You’re going to love this!
This Roasted Vegetable Sandwich w/ Tofu Ricotta has been my favorite meal I’ve had while being on the low FODMAP elimination diet. I’m almost done with the elimination phase and will be reintroducing categories here shortly but low FODMAP or not I’ll be making this sandwich very often. It’s so good! My boyfriend who is not on the diet LOVES this recipe. It’s for everyone to enjoy!
Let’s break it down:
This sandwich comes together very easy. Simply roast eggplant and red bell peppers tossed in garlic infused olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then, cook up some sliced zucchini in a pan and toast slices of sourdough bread. Make sure the bread is 100% sourdough to ensure it is low FODMAP. If you aren’t on the elimination diet and can tolerate wheat, use whatever bread you’d like but a crusty loaf works best in this recipe. If you made my Tomato Basil Pasta, use the leftover tofu ricotta for this sandwich or head over to that recipe and make it fresh. It comes together quickly. Spread a hearty amount of tofu ricotta on the sourdough bread along with the eggplant, zucchini, and red peppers. Finish it off with a fresh arugula salad and chopped basil. Enjoy!
What You Will Need For This Roasted Vegetable Sandwich w/ Tofu Ricotta
- Sourdough Bread
- Red Bell Pepper
- Tofu Ricotta
How To Make The Best Roasted Vegetable Sandwich
Roast the vegetables until they are soft and golden brown and caramelized because this will yield a better overall flavor to the sandwich.
Don’t be tempted to skip the arugula salad. It’s so delicious and complementary to the flavors of the vegetables and ricotta.
Learn more about making the best tofu ever in the Ultimate Guide to Cooking Tofu.
Things to Note:
Low FODMAP Diet is very particular about portion sizes. Below are portion sizes recommended from the Monash App. I included measurements in ounces and roughly in cups- ounces are more accurate when cooking on the elimination diet so if you have a kitchen scale I highly recommend using it for this. If you are not on the elimination diet and can tolerate these vegetables in higher amounts, don’t worry too much about this.
Tofu Ricotta recipe can be found here: Tomato Basil Pasta w/ Tofu Ricotta.
More Sandwich Recipes You Might Like:
- Vegan Tandoori Chicken Sandwich
- Vegan Steak Sandwich w/ Gouda & Arugula
- Jackfruit No-Tuna Melt
- Buffalo Cauliflower Sandwich
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Roasted Vegetable Sandwich w/ Tofu Ricotta
Roasted Vegetable Sandwich:
- 4 Pieces of 100% Sourdough Bread
- 2 cups Eggplant thinly sliced
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper cut in thick slices
- 2/3 cup Zucchini thinly sliced
- 2-3 TBSP Garlic Infused Olive Oil divided
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Tofu Ricotta
- Roughly 2 cups Arugula
- 1/2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 1/2 TSP Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes optional
- Fresh Basil
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Thinly slice the eggplant in rounds about 1/2 inch thick or just slightly less. Brush each side with garlic infused olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and black pepper. Place on a parchment lined baking tray being sure not to overlap.
- Cut the red bell pepper in to 6-8 thick strips. Generously coat with garlic infused olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Place on baking tray. Roast the eggplant and red bell pepper for 20 minutes. Flip the eggplant and continue to cook both the eggplant and red pepper for 15-20 more minutes or until caramelized and golden.
- If you haven't made the tofu ricotta from the Tomato Basil Pasta recipe, make that now. Linked above.
- Thinly slice the zucchini in long strips. Add 1-2 teaspoons of garlic infused olive oil on to a pan on medium high heat. Sear on both sides until golden in color, about 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and add in arugula. Toss until well coated. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Toast the sourdough bread until golden and crisp.
- Add a hearty spread of tofu ricotta on each piece of bread along with the roasted eggplant, pepper, zucchini, arugula salad and fresh basil. Enjoy!