This Spicy Tempeh Crunch Roll is the perfect amount of spicy & crunchy! The ingredients are easy to find and simple! You’re gonna love this!
Sushi is one of my favorite things to make at home. Vegan sushi has come along way but the most accessible sushi is a simple vegetable roll. And hey, I love a vegetable roll but sometimes I wish fun unique vegan sushi was more widely available. So instead of wishful thinking I decided it was time to try to veganize a spicy tuna crunch roll! I wanted to keep the ingredients in this dish super simple and easy to find so tempeh seemed like the perfect choice. This Spicy Tempeh Crunch is MAGIC and absolutely delicious and everything I wanted from vegan sushi. I hope you enjoy!
What You Will Need For This Spicy Tempeh Crunch Roll
A sushi mat and a rice cooker are handy tools to have when making sushi at home but honestly, this doesn’t require any special equipment!
- Sushi Rice
- Nori Sheets
- Vegan Mayo
- Chili Garlic Sauce
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Tempeh: You can use canned Jackfruit in replace of the tempeh. I recommend drying the jackfruit off after draining to remove some moisture.
- Chili Garlic Sauce: Any hot sauce will work. Chili Garlic Sauce & Sriracha work best.
How To Make The Best Spicy Tempeh Crunch Roll Every Time
Don’t skip steaming the tempeh. Steaming tempeh gets rid of that unpleasant bitter flavor and will soften it up making it the perfect texture for this sushi roll.
Add as much spice as you want! I like this very spicy so I add a lot. Taste and adjust to your preference.
Learn More About Cooking with Tempeh:
Read my Ultimate Guide to Cooking with Tempeh to learn all about tempeh!
More Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Spicy Tempeh Crunch Roll
Spicy Tempeh Sushi Roll:
- 1 cup Sushi Rice dry
- 1 1/4- 1 1/2 cups Water check sushi rice package
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3-4 sheets of Nori
- 1 block of Tempeh
- 1/3 cup of Vegan Mayo
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon Chili Garlic Sauce
- Pinch of Salt & Pepper
- 1 Large Avocado
Spicy Crunchy Topping:
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- 2-3 teaspoons Chili Garlic Sauce or Sriracha
- 1/4-1/3 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Sesame Seeds for garnish
- Green Onion for garnish
- Make Sushi Rice: Follow package directions. I used 1 cup dry sushi rice to 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to boil, then lower to a simmer, cook covered for 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Let sit with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice to a medium sized bowl. Mix in vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste). Place in fridge to let cool.
- Bring half a pot of water to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Use a steamer basket to steam the tempeh for 20 minutes. Add steamed tempeh to a bowl and let cool until you can crumble the tempeh in to small pieces with clean hands.
- In a separate bowl mix together the mayo, lemon juice, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add mayo mixture to crumbled tempeh and mix well until coated evenly in the sauce. Set aside. Slice avocados as well and set aside.
- Place your sheet of nori (rough side up) on a sushi mat. Keep a small bowl of water close by to dip your fingers in so the rice won't stick to you. Place a good amount of sushi rice on your sheet of nori and spread out thinly across the sheet of nori but leave about an inch without rice at the end. Add your spicy tempeh and avocado in a straight line about 2 inches away from the side closest to you. Roll the sushi by lifting the nori over the filling tightly. And then continue rolling while using the sushi mat to keep it tight. Use a sharp knife to slice your sushi rolls in to bite sized pieces.
- Once all your sushi rolls have been completed and cut, add mayo and chili garlic sauce to a small bowl and whisk together. Taste and add more heat if desired.
- Toast the panko breadcrumbs on medium heat until golden and crispy.
- Dip the top of each piece of sushi in to the spicy mayo and then directly in to the toasted panko until all have been dipped. Top with sesame seeds and green onion if desired and serve!