This Vegan Tofu Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich is going to be your new favorite way to have classic grilled cheese. Crispy tofu, basil pesto, roasted red peppers, and melty vegan mozzarella cheese come together to create the most flavorful and tasty sandwich.
Your favorite grilled cheese jazzed up! Adding pesto, roasted red peppers and crispy tofu to vegan grilled cheese takes it to a whole new level. This is the ultimate vegan tofu sandwich that you'll want to revisit over and over again!
Tofu and pesto make sure a delicious combo, especially when paired with melty cheese and good sourdough bread.
You'll need a food processor or blender to make the pesto but other than that this tofu grilled cheese recipe requires no special equipment.
This incredibly easy and delicious vegan pesto grilled cheese recipe comes together in just a few simple steps but has a big flavor. You can customize this tasty vegan pesto sandwich however you'd like!
- Easy Vegan Basil Pesto
- Extra Firm Tofu
- Sourdough Bread
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Sautéed Onion
- Jarred Roasted Red Peppers
- Extra Firm Tofu: The tofu in this recipe is pressed and tossed in cornstarch then crisped up in a pan with a touch of oil. This can be replaced with vegan chicken and be equally as delicious.
- Sourdough Bread: Crusty bread is preferred for this recipe so it doesn't get soggy but you can use any bread that you desire.
- Mozzarella Cheese: I used Violife but follow your heart, daiya, or any other vegan mozzarella you enjoy will work here. You could also use cashew cheese or tofu ricotta.
- Jarred Roasted Red Peppers: I love the flavor of jarred roasted red peppers but you can simply sauté thinly sliced peppers with the onions.
How to Make Vegan Pesto
I recommend making the Basil Pesto Recipe ahead of time and then continuing on with this sandwich- it only takes a few minutes!
Add all the pesto ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend a few times until combined. Add water as needed to help blend.
You may or may not need 3 tablespoons- this really depends on your food processor or blender.
Continue making the tofu pesto sandwich down below!
How to Make This Recipe
Press the extra firm tofu for 15-20 minutes to remove excess water. Thinly slice into 4 large rectangles.
Toss together the cornstarch, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a shallow bowl and coat the tofu evenly.
Heat a large pan on medium-high heat and cover the base of the pan in vegetable oil. Add the tofu to the pan and cook until crispy and golden brown. Remove and place on wire rack.
Thinly slice the small onion. Add the onions to a pan on medium-high heat with a small splash of oil. Season the onion with salt and pepper and cook until soft and starting to brown, about 7-10 minutes.
Assemble the sandwich by adding a layer of vegan pesto, sautéed onions, jarred roasted red peppers, crispy tofu, 1-2 slices of vegan mozzarella, and fresh basil leaves.
Head a large pan on medium heat with some vegan butter. Add the sandwich to the pan and cook until each side is crispy and golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditional pesto has parmesan cheese in it but can easily be substituted with vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast and trust me when I say that the cheese won’t be missed.
You should use homemade pesto within 3-5 days. The top of the pesto turns brown when stored because it is exposed to air but this can be prevented by adding some more olive oil over the top. You can still eat it if the top turned a little brown.
This sandwich does taste better freshly made but leftovers were also incredibly delicious. I simply wrap leftovers in plastic wrap to store then reheated in a 350F preheated oven until hot.
More Sandwich Recipes You Might Like:
Vegan Tofu Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 Block Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Vegetable Oil for pan frying
Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- 8 Slices Sourdough Bread
- ½ Batch of Easy Vegan Basil Pesto
- 6-8 Slices of Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Small Onion sautéed
- ½ cup Roasted Red Bell Peppers from jar
- Fresh Basil
- Vegan Butter
- Prep ahead the basil pesto.
- Press the extra firm tofu for 15-20 minutes to remove excess water. Thinly slice into 4 large rectangles.
- Toss together the cornstarch, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a shallow bowl and coat the tofu evenly.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat and cover the base of the pan in vegetable oil. Add the tofu to the pan and cook until crispy and golden brown. Remove and place on wire rack.
- Thinly slice the small onion. Add the onions to a pan on medium high heat with a small splash of oil. Season the onion with salt and pepper and cook until soft and starting to brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwich by adding a layer of vegan pesto, sautéed onions, jarred roasted red peppers, crispy tofu, 1-2 slices of vegan mozzarella and fresh basil leaves.
- Head a large pan on medium heat with some vegan butter. Add the sandwich to the pan and cook until each side is crispy and golden brown, about 3-4 minutes each side. Enjoy!
This sandwich was incredibly delicious! Really amazing how good it is! Couldn't recommend more!
Thanks, Sonja! Happy you enjoyed 🙂
Rachael M. says
Liv strikes again! This is hands down the best sandwich I have made, vegan or not! Everything pairs so well together and the tofu adds such a nice heartiness. Thank you Liv!
It one of my faves!! I'm so glad you enjoyed 🙂
Made this as well as your tomato soup and oh my god it’s so good!! Thank you!!! I replaced the red pepper on the sandwich with marinated tomatoes and it’s soo nice
Love the addition of marinated tomatoes. That sounds delicious! I'm so glad you enjoy 🙂
Vitor Hugo Pinheiro says
Amazing - loved it !! Thank you for your work !
So glad you loved it!! 🙂
My new go to grilled cheese. This was out of this world delicious. Thanks
That's great!! Thank you 🙂
Miriam Jones says
My gosh, this sounds amazing!! Making it TOMORROW. Thank you 🙂
It's hard to describe how good this was! Very likely the best sandwiches we have ever made, and everyone was blown away. Definitely going to come back to this one over and and over. Thanks Liv!
I'm so happy you enjoyed 🙂