This is THE BEST Vegan Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake I’ve ever had. Fluffy cinnamon cake, a cream cheese layer, the most delicious cinnamon streusel EVER, and can’t forget a nice drizzle of a powdered sugar glaze on top. If you’re not familiar with coffee cake you may ask “where’s the coffee?!?” Well, there is no coffee. This cake gets it’s name because it is best served with a cup of coffee!
The making of this cake is quite simple. It starts by making a very simple cinnamon cake batter. Divide half the batter in to a cake pan along with melted cream cheese and a sprinkle of cinnamon streusel. Add the other half of the batter on top and sprinkle on the rest of the cinnamon streusel. Bake the cake and once slightly cooled add a healthy drizzle of powdered sugar glaze. This Vegan Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake is actual heaven. The cake itself is fluffy, moist, and delicious but the crunchy cinnamon streusel on top is what takes this cake to the next level. You’re going to love this!
What You Will Need For This Vegan Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
You won’t need anything special to make this Vegan Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake. I used an 8″ Springform Pan which I found to be slightly small so a 9″ Springform Pan is preferred. If an 8″ is all you have, it will work but you’ll need to add 5-10 more minutes of baking time. If you don’t have a springform, use a regular greased cake pan or a greased bundt pan.
A required step is creaming the butter. This process is made quicker and easier by using a stand or hand mixer but can be done in a bowl with a fork.
- All Purpose Flour
- Coconut Sugar
- Unsweetened Vegan Yogurt
- Vegan Butter
- Vegan Cream Cheese
Following the recipe exact will yield better results but here is what I recommend when it comes to substitutions.
- Gluten-Free: I would recommend using a 1 to 1 Gluten Free All Purpose Flour. I haven’t tried this recipe with gluten free flour myself but leave a comment below with the results if you try it out!
- Coconut Sugar: Can easily be swapped out with Brown Sugar.
- Maple Syrup: Add more sugar instead.
- Vegan Cream Cheese: No need to substitute it. Just leave it out.
- Unsweetened Vegan Yogurt: I don’t recommend substituting this because it keeps the cake moist but you could also try applesauce. If you end up trying it, let me know how it goes!
How To Make The Best Vegan Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
Flour should be measured by fluffing with a fork, then spooning the flour in to the proper dry measuring cups INSTEAD of reaching your hand in the bag and packing the flour in with the measuring cup. This article explains it best.
Mix until no more flour is visible but be sure not to over mix. Over-mixing will result in a dense cake.
The butter needs to be creamed with the sugar, not melted. This can be done with a stand or hand mixer or by using a fork in a bowl. The fork method takes a few more minutes but works just as well.
More Recipes You Might Like:
- Vegan Dirty Chai Cinnamon Rolls
- Vegan Chai Spiced Cheesecake
- Gluten-Free Vegan Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour spoon measured
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Unsweetened Vegan Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 1 tablespoon White Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Vegan Butter cold
Cream Cheese Center:
- 1/2 cup Vegan Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 1/4 teaspoons Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8' or 9" springform pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the spoon measured all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add the room temperature vegan butter and cream with a fork. Once creamed, add coconut sugar and mix well. Then, add in the maple syrup, unsweetened vegan yogurt, plant milk, and white vinegar. Whisk together until incorporated.
- Combined the wet mixture in to the dry and stir until just combined. Do not over mix. Set aside.
- To make the streusel whisk together the coconut sugar, all purpose flour, and cinnamon. Add in 1/3 cup of cold vegan butter and mix until crumbly.
- Add cream cheese in to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 15-30 seconds or until softened.
- Divide the batter in to two parts and add half in to the greased cake pan. Carefully spread the warmed cream cheese on top of the batter and 1/3 of the streusel. Top with the remaining cake batter and finish it off by sprinkling the remaining streusel on top. Bake cake for 50-65 minutes. This might take longer depending on the cake pan you choose so after 45 minutes, keep an eye on it. It should spring back when touched and a tooth pick inserted in the middle should come out clean with some cream cheese on it but no batter. My 8" round springform pan took about 65 minutes but a square pan or a large cake pan might take only 55. Again, keep an eye on it.
- Simply whisk together the powdered sugar, plant milk, and cinnamon. Start with 1 tsp of plant milk and then add as needed. Once cake is cooled, drizzle with glaze. Serve and enjoy!