You would never guess this Vegan French Toast is made without eggs! It is thick, crispy golden on the outside, and has a soft and custardy center. Just Egg is whipped up with some plant milk and warming spices to create a batter for our thick slices of bread. It is soaked for a few seconds and then cooked to golden, crispy perfection!
Warming cinnamon spiced Just egg custard, vegan butter & thick-cut bread topped with vegan mascarpone, and a drizzle of maple syrup create the best vegan french toast ever!
This easy vegan French Toast recipe is perfect for breakfast or brunch on the weekend. Serve it easy and simple with just maple syrup or make it fancy with all the toppings that your heart desires!
This super delicious and easy Just Egg French Toast Recipe is made with non-dairy milk and plant-based eggs but you'd never know! It's just as tasty as regular french toast.
- Thick Sliced Bread
- Just Egg
- Unsweet Plant Milk
- Maple Syrup
This delicious French Toast recipe is simple, fast to make, and calls for just 6 basic ingredients. The spices and toppings are optional but it makes for the perfect Sunday morning breakfast spread that the whole family will love!
- Thick Sliced Bread: You'll want to buy an unsliced loaf of bread for this recipe and allow it to sit out for a day or two to go a little stale- that's when it's best to make french toast!
- Just Egg: French toast without egg is easy! Just egg is a plant-based egg substitute- keep reading to learn more.
- Unsweet Plant Milk: For the batter- I used almond but oat, soy or any other plant-based milk will work. I recommend unsweetened.
- Maple Syrup: Just a touch for sweetness and more for drizzling over top.
- Spices: I used cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cardamom. You can use a mix of all or just cinnamon or skip the spices and use vanilla extract.
- Vegan Butter: For cooking- it gives the exterior of our french toast a delicious flavorful golden crust.
What is Just Egg?
Just Egg is a plant-based alternative to scrambled eggs from a company called Eat Just. It comes in a bottle and is in liquid form. You simply heat up a pan and scramble it like an egg. You can also make omelets, quiche, french toast, and more! It is a wonderful vegan egg substitute to use in baking as well.
What is Just Egg made of?
Just Egg's key ingredients are mung beans, water, canola oil, and a variety of spices including turmeric for color.
Where to buy Just Egg
You can buy Just Egg at most grocery stores. I buy mine at Whole Foods for $3.99 but they are regularly on sale so look out for the deals if you shop there. Check out their store locator to find a shop near you!
Best Bread for French Toast
If you can find a vegan brioche bread- that would work great! You could even make a homemade vegan brioche loaf and let it sit out for a full 24 hours to dry out a bit.
You can also use a Pullman loaf also known as regular sandwich bread. This type of bread can be found in the bakery section of grocery stores or at a local bakery. Make sure to buy unsliced! If you buy presliced, it'll be too thin and you'll risk soggy french toast.
A crusty bread like sourdough bread or french bread will work as well. Just make sure you are getting unsliced.
I recommend buying the loaf 24 hours ahead of time and allowing it to go a little stale. Stale bread is always best for French toast!
How to Make This Recipe
Making egg-free and dairy-free french toast is super easy! Pick the right bread, make the Just egg custard, soak the bread and then cook until golden- that's it! Breakfast will be ready in no time.
This recipe makes 6 slices of french toast.
Slice the loaf of bread into thick slices- about ½ inch to ¾ inch thick.
Whisk together the Just egg, plant milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, ground ginger, and cardamom in a wide shallow dish.
Add a little bit of vegan butter to a pan over medium heat. If the pan gets too hot, turn to medium-low heat.
Dip each side of the bread in the egg mixture- about 10 to 15 seconds on each side.
You want to soak it long enough for the custard batter to soak the bread but you don't want soggy french toast so don't leave it in too long!
Add the soaked bread to the buttered pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Add more butter in between slices when needed. Continue until all the french toast is done.
Drizzle with maple syrup and fresh berries! See below for a list of more topping ideas.
Tips & Tricks
Pick a sturdy bread! I purchased an unsliced country white loaf of bread from a local bakery- just be sure to check the ingredients to ensure it's vegan friendly. I recommend buying unsliced so that you can cut the slices into thick pieces which will work best for this french toast recipe.
Substitutions & Additions
Spices: I love adding warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and ginger but you can add vanilla extract instead or simply cinnamon. Whatever you want!
Maple Syrup: You can use agave syrup as a replacement for pure maple syrup if you'd prefer.
Unsweet Plant Milk: Any plant milk will work for this recipe- I used almond milk.
Vegan Butter: Vegan butter helps get a nice flavorful golden crust on the outside of our just egg french toast but you can use oil if that's all you have on hand.
Just Egg: If you don’t have access to Just Egg, you can substitute it with one of the following vegan egg replacers: mashed bananas, blended silken tofu, pumpkin purée, or flaxseed. Please note that this recipe was developed with Just Egg so that is what’s recommended for best results.
My favorite toppings for homemade french toast are fresh berries and vegan mascarpone! It's tart, light and balances the sweetness of the maple syrup drizzle. Here are some more ideas!
- Pure Maple Syrup Drizzle
- Vegan Mascarpone or Coconut Whipped Cream
- Fresh Fruit like Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, or Peaches
- Sliced Bananas and Walnuts
- Homemade Strawberry Jam or favorite Store-Bought Jam
- Drizzle of Nut Butter like Almond Butter or Peanut Butter or Homemade Vegan Nutella
Storage: Store leftover french toast in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Please note that it is best served fresh.
Reheating: Reheat leftovers in a 350F preheated oven until warmed through and drizzle with maple syrup and toppings of choice.
Freezing: I don't recommend freezing this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Just Egg has been made to resemble a real egg by using mung bean protein and turmeric to create an egg-like texture and flavor.
3 to 4 tablespoons of Just Egg = 1 Chicken Egg
You can make scrambled eggs, omelets, frittatas, fried rice with just egg scramble, this french toast recipe, and pancakes, or use it in baked goods like cakes. The options are endless!
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
- Best Vegan Breakfast Sausage Patties
- Quick & Easy Fluffy Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
- Easy Homemade Vegan Bagels
- BEST Just Egg Quiche (Vegan)
If You Make This Recipe:
I would greatly appreciate it if you share your review in the comments below and leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating. I really appreciate it- it helps me out so much! Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Just Egg French Toast
- 6 slices Thick Sliced Bread see notes
- ¾ cup Just Egg
- ¾ cup Unsweet Plant Milk
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Ginger optional
- Pinch of Cardamom optional
- Vegan Butter for cooking
- Slice the loaf of bread into thick slices- about ½ inch to ¾ inch thick.
- Whisk together the Just egg, plant milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, ground ginger, and cardamom in a shallow bowl.
- Add a little bit of vegan butter to a pan over medium heat. If the pan gets too hot, turn to medium-low heat.
- Dip each side of the bread in the egg mixture- about 10 to 15 seconds on each side. Add to the buttered pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Add more butter in between slices when needed. Continue until all the french toast is done.
- Top with maple syrup and fresh berries! See above for a list of topping ideas.