Say goodbye to plain and simple garlic bread and hello to this vegan garlic parmesan & herb star bread. This is what you should be serving that saucy pasta with!! This Vegan Garlic Parmesan & Herb Star Bread is delicious, incredibly beautiful and surprisingly simple to make. It’ll quite literally be the star of your dinner table and impress your dinner guests.
No one will even know it’s vegan because it’s so buttery and delicate. The filling is layers of garlic butter and tons of vegan parmesan and fresh herbs like parsley and basil and the dough is soft and fluffy and perfectly golden on top. This is a must try the next time you want garlic bread.
If you love this version, try the sweet version! My Vegan Cinnamon Sugar Star Bread is perfect for the Holidays or any time you have guests to impress. Get the recipe here.
What You Will Need For This Garlic Parmesan & Herb Star Bread
A stand mixer makes bread making a breeze but it’s not necessary. You can easily do this by hand, it might just be a bit messier since this is a soft dough.
- All Purpose Flour, personally haven’t tried any other flours
- Instant Yeast, or active dry yeast
- Garlic, don’t skimp on the garlic and always use fresh cloves
- Vegan Butter, I love earth balance
- Vegan Parmesan, Violife is my favorite
- Fresh Herbs, tons of basil & parsley!!
What I Used & Recommend:
- Vegan Parm: Any brand of Vegan Parmesan will work. Trader Joe’s has one and Follow your heart has one that is delicious but my all time favorite is Violife.
- Vegan Butter: I usually use Earth Balance but any vegan butter that you enjoy will work here.
- Instant Yeast: I prefer instant yeast over active dry yeast because you can put it straight in the dry mixture but active dry will work here as long as you take the extra step to activate it.
- Herbs: I used parsley & basil but you can add oregano and thyme as well. Dried herbs will work as well but fresh is preferred.
I don’t recommend making any substitutions to the dough itself. This recipe was tested multiple times and this was the best outcome. But the filling is up to you!
- Pizza flavored maybe? Marinara sauce + Cheese + Garlic Butter… yummmmm!
- Garlic Butter & Vegan Pesto
- Vegan Ham & Cheddar Cheese
- Tomato Sauce, Roasted Bell Peppers, Caramelized Onion & Vegan Sausage
How To Make The Best Star Bread Every Time
Don’t add too much flour to your dough. It will be a soft dough but it shouldn’t stick to your hands when they are very lightly floured. Remember to lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin but that’s all the flour you should need.
Don’t stress about having the most perfect twists or circles. It’ll look beautiful regardless! Just make sure the circles are 10 inches and use your hands to shape it back in to a circle if it becomes a little wonky during the layering process.
I always use and recommend instant yeast because you can add it straight to the dry ingredients and skip the extra step of activating it. If you want to use active dry yeast, go ahead but don’t forget to activate it. The most important part of yeast is the liquid temperature. I always go with 120F-125F and highly recommend using a thermometer.
More Recipes You Might Like:
- Vegan Cinnamon Sugar Star Bread
- Easy Homemade Vegan Bagels
- Roasted Red Pepper Fettuccine
- Vegan Gnocchi Mac & Cheese
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Garlic Parmesan & Herb Star Bread
- 2 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Instant Yeast
- 2 tablespoons Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Plant Milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Vegan Butter
Garlic Parmesan & Herb Filling:
- 3 tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt & Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup Fresh Basil
- 1/4 cup Parsley
- 1 cup Vegan Parmesan
- Make the dough: Combine the all purpose flour, instant yeast, sugar and salt in to the bowl of a stand mixer. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can do this by hand. Combine the plant milk, apple cider vinegar, and butter in to a small pot on low heat. Take the milk mixture off the heat when it reaches 120-125F.
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the milk mixture in to the dry mixture. Beat on low for 3-4 minutes until the dough is combined and has pulled away from the sides. The dough should be very soft but not too sticky.
- Flour your hands and transfer the dough to an oiled bowl. Cover with a towel or cling wrap and place in a warm spot to rise. Let rise for 60-90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Prepare the filling: Mince the garlic and add to a bowl with melted vegan butter and garlic infused olive oil. Season with salt & black pepper then set aside. Finely chop the basil and parsley and toss in a separate bowl along with the vegan parmesan. Set that aside.
- Assembling the Bread: Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide in to 4 equal pieces. Use a rolling pin and roll each out in to a thin 10-inch circle. Place one of the pieces on parchment lined baking tray and use your hands to ensure the circle shape remains. Brush the first layer with garlic butter and then sprinkle on 1/3 of the herb and parm mixture. Place another piece of dough on top of the first circle and repeat with more garlic and herb parm mixture. Repeat those steps one more time so that 3 of the circles are topped with filling and the top layer is plain without any filling. Place a 2 1/2in cookie cutter or small dish in the middle of the dough to mark the middle of the star. Use a sharp knife to cut 16 even strips from the cookie cutter to the edge of the dough. Using both hands, grab two strips and twist them away from each otters then press the ends together to make a point. You should have 8 points at the end of this step.
- Cover with cling wrap and let rise for 20 more minutes while the oven preheats to 350F. Brush with any remaining garlic butter or vegan butter and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then serve warm. Enjoy!