If you made my Seitan Gyro from last week you’re probably wondering what you’re going to do with the leftovers. Well, how about a Vegan Reuben Sandwich? Reuben’s have always been one of my favorite sandwiches. When it’s on the menu, I order it! Only when it’s vegan, of course.
What is a Reuben?
A classic Reuben has corned beef, swiss cheese, Russian dressing, and sauerkraut on rye bread. Making this vegan is quite simple! For this vegan Reuben Sandwich we will be using my seitan from the Gyro recipe, a vegan swiss or provolone cheese, a homemade Russian dressing using vegan mayo, and vegan sauerkraut.
What You Will Need For These Vegan Reuben Sandwich
- Rye Bread
- Vegan Cheese
Notes before we get started:
If you haven’t already, prep and bake seitan. This recipe needs to sit in the fridge overnight so plan accordingly. The recipe can be found HERE.
When choosing sauerkraut make sure you pick one with a vegan label. Some sauerkraut’s are pickled using lactic acid which you want to avoid.
This recipe makes 2 sandwiches but if you are serving more people just use the whole seitan loaf and double the amounts of sauerkraut, rye bread, and cheese slices. The recipe for the Russian Dressing is enough for 4 sandwiches.
More Recipes You Might Like:
- Vegan Seitan Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce
- Buffalo Cauliflower Sandwich w/ Vegan Bleu Cheese Dressing
- Vegan Steak Sandwich w/ Gouda & Arugula
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!Print
- 4 slices of Rye Bread, check ingredients but most are vegan
- Half a loaf of Seitan from my Gyro recipe
- 1/4 cup of Sauerkraut, choose one w/ vegan label
- 4–6 slices of Vegan Swiss or Provolone Cheese, I used provolone follow your heart
Vegan Russian Dressing
- 1/2 cup Vegan Mayo, I use Follow Your Heart
- 2 tbsps Ketchup
- 2 tbsp White Onion, minced
- 1 tsp Prepared Horseradish
- 1 tbsp Sriracha or Hot Sauce
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vegan Worcestershire, I use Annie’s
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- Make the Russian dressing by simply mixing all the ingredients listed above together. Taste and add more salt + pepper to preference.
- Thinly slice the seitan. Heat a large pan on medium-high heat and add a drizzle of oil. Cook the seitan slices for a few minutes on each side until they are golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Add 1-2 tbsps of sauce to 2 of the slices of bread. Add 1 to 1 1/2 slices of vegan cheese on top of the dressed slices.Then, top with as much seitan as you’d like.
- Follow with 2 tbsps of sauerkraut. Add the rest of the cheese slices.
- Spread 1 tbsp of dressing on the top slices of bread and close the sandwiches.
- Heat a large pan to medium-high heat and add 1-2 tbsps of vegan butter.
- Add each sandwich to the pan and cook each side for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from pan, slice in half, and serve!
Keywords: Vegan Reuben Sandwich