This Vegan Seitan Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce is SO GOOD. Delicious flatbread filled with thinly sliced seitan, cucumber, red onion, tomato and the most delicious Tzatziki sauce. Seitan is one of my favorite vegan proteins because it’s very versatile. This one is designed to be thinly sliced for sandwiches like the reuben, this gyro here, and maybe even a Philly cheesesteak.
What is a gyro?
A gyro is a Greek dish that is usually made with lamb or pork and served in a pita or flatbread with a yogurt sauce but luckily for us it is very easily veganized. Make the seitan the night before and then you’ll have your Vegan Seitan Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce within 15 minutes and plenty of leftovers!
What You Will Need For This Vegan Seitan Gyro
- Homemade Seitan
- Unsweetened Greek Yogurt
- Toppings of Choice
Use leftovers to make this delicious Vegan Reuben!
More Recipes You Might Like
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!Print
- 3 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/4 cups Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 3 tbsps Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsps Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 cup Plain Unsweetened Greek Style Vegan Yogurt, or plain vegan yogurt
- 3/4 cup Cucumber, shredded
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tbsp Fresh Dill
- Salt, to preference
- Make the Seitan: Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl, stir together the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, and black pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth, olive oil, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and tomato paste.
- Pour the wet ingredients in to the dry and knead the dough for a few minutes. It should be slippery, not dry.
- Roll the seitan dough into a long log. Roughly 5 by 10. Wrap tightly in parchment paper and twist the sides and tuck them under the bottom of the loaf. Think about the wrapping on a piece of candy. Place the wrapped loaf on a baking tray and bake for 90 minutes. The loaf should feel firm. Let completely cool before placing it in the fridge overnight.
- Make the Tzatziki Sauce: Grate cucumber. Gather up the cucumber in a paper towel or clean dish towel and squeeze as much water out as you can. Place in small bowl.
- Place all the other sauce ingredients in to the bowl with the cucumber and mix well. Taste and salt to preference. Set in fridge until ready to serve.
- Make the Gyro: Slice as much Seitan as you want for the amount of sandwiches you are making. Slice the cucumber, tomato, and red onion.
- In a pan on medium-high heat add a bit of oil and lightly brown the seitan slices on each side. This will only take a few minutes. Warm up the flatbread.
- Build the gyro by spreading a good amount of Tzatziki sauce on the flatbread followed by the romaine lettuce, browned seitan, cucumber, tomato, and red onion. Serve!
This seitan recipe makes a whole loaf and can be wrapped tightly in the fridge for 1 week!
Keywords: Vegan Seitan Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce