These sweet, beautifully flaky, and tasty Vegan Pastelitos de Guayaba are quick and easy and make the perfect snack or dessert. I personally love enjoying these vegan guava cheese pastries with a hot cup of coffee early in the morning or for a mid-day pick me up.
Vegan Pastelitos de Guayaba are easy to make and only require a few ingredients including store-bought accidentally vegan puff pastry, guava paste, and vegan cream cheese.
The combination of the tart slightly sweetened whipped cream cheese, the sweet guava paste, and the crisp flaky layers of the puff pastry is truly a match made in heaven. Warning you now that these are incredibly addicting and you're gonna want to make these over and over again. Enjoy!
The History behind Pastelitos de Guayaba:
This delicious Guava Cheese Pastry originates from Cuba. It was originally enjoyed with simply guava and pastry until American cream cheese became available in Cuba. I wanted to share this story about the history of Pastelitos de Guayaba and the nostalgia that these pastries bring to the storytellers life and community. It's a wonderful read and I recommend it greatly!
A rolling pin and a baking sheet is all you will need for this recipe. It's so simple to make which is wonderful because you're going to want to make them over and over again! The cream cheese is whipped and I used a stand mixer but a whisk would work too!
- Vegan Puff Pastry
- Tofu-Based Cream Cheese
- Guava Paste
What I Used
Puff Pastry: Most puff pastry is not vegan because of butter, eggs, and some other sneaky ingredients but some store bought brands are accidentally vegan. I used Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry which is vegan and widely available. Just double check the ingredients for your local store bought puff pastry OR make your own!
Guava Paste: I used the Guava Paste from the brand Iberia.
Cream Cheese: I love and recommend Tofutti as it is tofu based and won't melt into an oily mess like other vegan cream cheeses. This recipe will ONLY work with tofu-based or nut-based cream cheese. DO NOT use cream cheese that is pure oil. For example, Violife has a delicious cream cheese but it is only oil-based. Whereas Tofutti is oil AND tofu so it holds up when baked. Tofutti is the preferred cream cheese for this recipe.
How To Make The Best Pastry Every Time
Roll out the dough to be about ⅛in thick. If you skip this part the pastry will puff up way too much and will be harder to eat and the filling to pastry ratio will be off. Scoring the top will also help the puff pastry not puff up too much.
Guava paste tastes gummy and sticky when straight out of the package. It's delicious but the texture completely changes when baked and it's absolutely wonderful! So if you sneak a bit and don't love the texture don't let that turn you away from making these. Baked guava paste is heaven!
Whipping the tofu-based cream cheese and sugar with a whisk, stand mixer, or hand mixer is 100% necessary as it makes the filling so light and fluffy. The lightly sweetened tart cream cheese is so complementary to the sweet taste of the guava and the crisp crunchy puff pastry. It's the perfect combo!
Do not use oil-based cream cheese for this recipe or you will end up with an oily mess spilling out of puff pastry. Tofutti which is a tofu-based cream cheese works the best for this recipe.
More Recipes You Might Like:
Vegan Pastelitos de Guayaba
- 1 package Vegan Friendly Puff Pastry two sheets
- 8 oz Vegan Tofu Based Cream Cheese see notes
- ⅓ cup Organic Powdered Sugar
- 7 oz Guava Paste
- Sugar for sprinkling on top
- 2 tablespoon Almond Milk for "egg" wash
- ½ tablespoon Agave or Maple Syrup for "egg" wash
- Thaw puff pastry for 35-40 minutes (no longer) then preheat oven to 400F.
- Whip the cream cheese with a whisk, stand mixer, or hand mixer. Whisk in the powdered sugar and then transfer to a piping bag.
- Flour a clean surface and rolling pin. Roll each sheet of puff pastry to be ⅛in thick and then cut each sheet in to 9 squares or rectangles. 18 squares/ rectangles total.
- Pipe cream cheese on half of the squares, leaving about ½in border around the edge. Slice the guava in about ¼in thick pieces and place on top of the cream cheese.
- Mix together the almond milk and maple syrup to create an "egg" wash. Brush the edges with the egg wash and then top with the other puff pastry and gently press to seal. Use a knife and clean up the edges of the puff pastry. Brush the tops with more egg wash and then score the top and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. The pastry with be puffed up and golden brown on top. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!!!