Easy and quick to make Vegan Red Cabbage Slaw is dressed in fresh lemon juice, dijon mustard and a splash of maple syrup and contains no mayo! This cabbage slaw adds a fresh element to tacos, grain bowls or can be served as a side or a salad. It's light, crunchy, refreshing and absolutely delicious!
This vegan coleslaw not only tastes great as a side dish for your next dinner but also for the next summer BBQ. You only need a few ingredients and a bit of time to create this fast but tasty salad.
This vegan red cabbage recipe is the perfect side dish to add to any dish to brighten it up. It's tangy from the lemon juice and dijon mustard while a splash of maple syrup to balance it out. This vegan cabbage slaw is gluten-free, vegan and contains no mayo.
- Red Cabbage: Our star ingredient! Use a sharp knife to finely shred the cabbage.
- Carrots: Shredded finely for texture and flavor.
- Red Onion: I love adding fresh red onion for a nice crunchy slightly spicy bite.
- Dill & Parsley: Fresh herb element that adds a nice flavor.
- Dressing: A very simple but fresh dressing of lemon juice, dijon mustard, maple syrup and olive oil. It's fresh and acidic with a hint of sweetness to balance it out.
What's the difference between slaw and coleslaw?
The main difference is that slaw is any raw vegetable that has been grated, chopped, or shredded. Slaw can include a wide range of veggies whereas coleslaw is typically cabbage based. Coleslaw often is mayo-based but can also be made of vinegar based dressing. So, in my research I kind of determined that these are basically the same thing but since mine isn't mayo based I am calling this a slaw. Email me and we can debate about it (just kidding).
How to Make This Recipe
This vegan red cabbage slaw recipe has no mayo, tastes fresh and bright, and comes together in just a few minutes.
Prep all the vegetables by thinly slicing the red cabbage, shredding the carrots and thinly slicing the red onions as well as finely chopping the parsley and dill. Add all the vegetables and herbs to a large bowl.
Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, dijon mustard and agave. Pour in to the veggies and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. That's it! Super, super simple vegan red cabbage recipe to add to so many dishes.
Ways to Serve Red Cabbage Slaw
Serve on this BBQ Tempeh Bowl and other grain bowls or use on top of this Vegan Crab Cake Sandwich or serve with Vegan Fish & Chips or on Vegan Fish Tacos. You can even serve on top of veggie burgers or vegan fried chicken sandwiches.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
In a rush? Use pre-sliced red cabbage and shredded carrots. Pre-cut cabbage and slaw mixtures can be found in most grocery stores produce section.
Prepare in advance! This slaw actually tastes better after marinading in the lemon juice for a while. I'd recommend prepping this about an hour or so before serving since red cabbage is very hearty. Simply give it a toss before serving to redistribute the dressing and fluff it up.
Storage: Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freezing: I don't recommend freezing this recipe.
Additions & Substitutions
Feel free to add extra ingredients. Make this red cabbage slaw your own by adding diced apples, raisins or cranberries, walnuts, pistachios or pumpkin seeds.
- Kale: Make this more of a salad and less of a side by adding shredded kale.
- Add a Crunch: Add nuts like pecans or pistachios for a nice crunch.
- Make it Creamy: Add a creamy sauce like this Roasted Garlic Aioli.
- Red Cabbage: You can use green cabbage if you'd like or a mix of both.
- Fresh Herbs: Use any herbs you like or don't add them at all. You can even add a sprinkle of dried dill.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Simply quarter the cabbage, remove the core, and then thinly slice with a sharp knife.
Yes! I sometimes like to use a mix of both red and green.
No, this tastes great made ahead and served right away!
Store in an airtight container for up to a week but I'd recommend eating it within 3-5 days.
More Salad Recipes You'll Love:
- Vegan Bacon Apple Spinach Salad
- Brussels Sprout & Sweet Potato Salad w/ Maple Mustard Dressing
- Kale Caesar Salad w/ Grilled Cajun Tofu
If You Make This Recipe:
I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below and leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating. I really appreciate it- it helps me out so much! Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Red Cabbage Slaw
- 4 cups Red Cabbage shredded
- 2 Large Carrots grated
- Half a Small Red Onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Dill chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Agave or Maple Syrup
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prep all the vegetables by thinly slicing the red cabbage, shredding the carrots and thinly slicing the red onions as well as finely chopping the parsley and dill. Add all the vegetables and herbs to a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, dijon mustard and agave. Pour in to the veggies and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.