This Creamy Vegan Potato Soup is such a nostalgic meal. I used to eat canned potato soup as a kid and would load it up with crackers and cheese. I completely forgot about this childhood favorite until I took a bite of this vegan potato soup. It’s exactly what I remember! The creaminess and the soft fluffy potatoes… absolute heaven! I absolutely adore this recipe because it requires no blending. When potatoes are blended they become very gummy and not pleasant at all. But when potatoes are simmered for a long time they break down and become creamy and buttery. If you love creamy soup but still want texture, this is for you! Also, don’t forget the bread.
What You Will Need For This Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
The reason why I love this recipe so much is that it only requires a big pot, cutting board, and a knife. It’s a one pot meal and doesn’t require any blending because the potatoes break down and create a smooth and creamy soup.
- Potatoes, I love Yukon Gold potatoes
- The perfect trio: Onions, Celery, and Carrots
- Lots of garlic!!
- Vegetable Broth
- Canned Coconut Milk
What I Used & Recommend:
- Potatoes: I used Yukon Gold potatoes because they are the tastiest to me. They hold up well in soup and give it texture but still break down and become buttery soft and creamy. You could also use russet.
- Vegetable Broth: Any will do but keep in mind some are saltier than others so you may need to add more or less salt than I did. I started with 1 teaspoon and ended up adding about 1 3/4 teaspoons in total and it ended up perfect for me but make sure you add a little at a time and then work your way up as needed.
How To Make The Best Soup Every Time
Salt to your preference. I touched on this above but salt is so hard to measure in recipes like this because my preference and yours is different. Things could vary like your vegetable broth is saltier than mine or visa versa. My salt rule is to add a little at each step and then taste and season to your preference.
Don’t forget the coconut cream. Coconut cream is essential for that creamy texture.
More Potato Recipes You Might Like:
- Vegan Gnocchi Mac & Cheese
- Brussels Sprout & Sweet Potato Salad w/ Maple Mustard Dressing
- Vegan Potato & Caramelized Onion Galette
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!Print
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Sweet Onion, minced
- 1/2 cup Celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Carrot, diced
- 3–5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Salt, more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 4 cups Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups Canned Coconut Milk
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Toasted Bread, for serving
- Fresh Thyme, for optional garnish
- Prep all the vegetables by thinly slicing the celery, dicing the sweet onion in small pieces, dicing the carrots, and mincing the garlic cloves. Peel and dice the potatoes in small pieces as well and set aside to use later.
- Add the vegan butter to a large soup pot on medium-high heat. Once melted, add in the onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until translucent. Toss in the celery and carrots and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, black pepper and dried thyme to the pot and cook for another 2 minutes before adding the all purpose flour. Toss until no dry flour is visible.
- Whisk in the nutritional yeast and vegetable broth then add the peeled and diced potatoes and canned coconut milk. Mix until incorporated and then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 40-45 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and falling apart. Stir occasionally.
- Once done, add the lemon juice and paprika. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. I added about 1 3/4 teaspoon of salt in total.
- Serve the potato soup with toasted bread and fresh thyme. Enjoy!
Keywords: creamy vegan potato soup, vegan potato soup, potato soup, vegan soup