These Crispy Cheesy Black Bean & Potato Tacos are quickly becoming my go-to for any time of day. I love making these for breakfast and adding a little tofu scramble or plant based just egg scramble or making them as written for lunch and dinner. Don’t forget all the delicious toppings you get to serve these with like fresh pico, guacamole, vegan sour cream, and my favorite vegan roasted red pepper cheese sauce.
What You Will Need For These Crispy Cheesy Black Bean & Potato Tacos
These Crispy Cheesy Black Bean & Potato Tacos are super quick and easy to put together. You will need a blender to make the Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Sauce because it’s cashew based. The tacos themselves need no special equipment.
- Black Beans
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Green and Red Bell Peppers
- Yellow Onion
- Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Sauce
- Corn Tortillas
- Black Beans: You can switch out the black beans with your favorite type of bean. I prefer black but pinto and kidney would be good as well.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: Russet potatoes will also work in this recipe.
- Corn Tortillas: Can be subbed with flour tortillas.
- Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Sauce: I don’t recommend substituting this out because this cheese sauce is so delicious but if you’re short on time then feel free to substitute with your favorite vegan cheese shreds.
How To Make The Best Crispy Cheesy Black Bean & Potato Tacos Every Time
Buy the corn tortillas fresh the day or day before you plan to make this recipe. Older corn tortillas will become a bit stiff and crack when folded for recipes like this one. Make sure you’re buying a quality brand of corn tortillas that are soft and flexible. Don’t buy stiff or frozen corn tortillas. Even if the tortillas are fresh, microwave them for a few seconds before folding them. Basically, you want them to be as soft as possible but not soggy or stiff.
Salt the filling as needed. Everyone has different preference so I left the salt up to you. I do recommending adding a pinch of salt at every step. Add the boiled potatoes to the oiled pan and salt. Then, add the veggies and salt again. Then, add another pinch with the remaining spices and black beans.
Don’t forget about the toppings! These tacos are perfect for scooping up loads of fresh pico de gallo, guacamole, and red pepper cheese sauce.
More Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!Print
Black Bean & Potato Filling:
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Yukon Gold Potatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup Yellow Onion, minced
- 3/4 cup Mixed Bell Peppers, minced
- 1–2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 cup Black Beans
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Pinch of Cayenne
- 1 Batch Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Sauce
- 8–10 Fresh Corn Tortillas
- Prep ahead Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Sauce.
- Boil potatoes for 6-8 minutes or until soft and fork tender. Heat a large pan on medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the potatoes to the pan and cook for a few minutes until they start to get golden brown.
- Add the onions and bell peppers to the potatoes and cook for 5-7 more minutes. Once the onions and peppers are soft and start to brown, add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and add 1 cup to the potato mixture along with all the seasonings and salt to taste. Continue to cook for a few minutes and then take off the heat.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat and add a bit of oil to coat the base of the pan.
- Add a good amount of the black bean potato mixture to one side of the corn tortilla (microwave the tortillas to soften- see above for more tips) and top with vegan roasted red pepper cheese sauce. Fold in half. Place on the hot pan until crispy and golden about 3-4 minutes on each side. Continue until the filling is gone and the tacos are crispy.
- Serve the crispy cheesy black bean & potato tacos with extra roasted red pepper cheese sauce and any other toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Keywords: Crispy Cheesy Black Bean & Potato Tacos, Crispy tacos, black bean potato tacos