Silky smooth and creamy Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Sauce is perfect drizzled over tacos, nachos, or added to burritos. Made from cashews, jarred roasted red peppers, and pickled jalapeños- it definitely doesn't lack in flavor!
I've been putting this Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Sauce on everything. I'm absolutely obsessed. It's creamy, smoky, and the perfect dipping sauce for just about anything.
I created this red pepper cashew cheese sauce because I really wanted a healthy sauce to put on veggie burgers but now you can find me putting this on tacos, enchiladas, nachos, using it as a dip for chips and veggies, served on top of a burrito bowl, or maybe even a chili mac and cheese. The options are endless!
This cheese sauce is very simple and easy to make but you will need a blender. The cashews are boiled and softened before blending but a good quality blender is much needed to ensure a smooth and creamy sauce. I used a NutriBullet.
- Roasted Jarred Red Pepper
- Nutritional Yeast
- Smoked Paprika
- Cashews: Blanched Almonds are the only thing I recommend substituting the cashews with. If you have a nut allergy, try silken tofu. I haven't tried it myself but can picture it is very delicious. Use 1 cup.
- Jalapeños: Use pickled!! The recipe calls for 1 jalapeño so substitute with 2-3 tablespoons of pickled. It's very subtle in spice and used mostly for flavor.
- Roasted Jarred Red Peppers: Buying a jar of roasted red peppers is faster and works better in this recipe in my opinion but you could also roast your own.
- Nutritional Yeast: This is very important for flavor and I don't recommend substituting this.
- Drizzle this roasted pepper sauce over tacos, enchiladas, nachos, in burritos, and on burrito bowls!
- Use as a sauce for a chili mac & cheese.
- Use as a queso dip. Maybe use it in a vegan 7 layer dip.
Tips & Trick
Don't skip soaking the cashews. This will ensure that the sauce is smooth and creamy! A tip I always use is to touch the sauce and rub it between two fingers. If the sauce has texture, keep blending.
More Sauce Recipes You Might Like:
Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup Cashews
- ¼ cup Yellow Onion minced
- 1 Fresh Jalapeño or 2-3 tablespoons Pickled Jalapeño
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Large Roasted Red Pepper from jar
- ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Water
- Boil cashews for 15-20 minutes to soften.
- Mince the onion, jalapeños, and garlic. Skip cooking the jalapeños if using pickled.
- Heat a small pan on medium-high heat and add roughly 1 teaspoon of oil. Add the onions and jalapeños to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until soft and starting to brown. Then, add in the garlic and cook for another 1-2 more minutes.
- Add the boiled cashews and onion mixture to a blender along with the roasted red pepper, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, smoked paprika, onion powder, black pepper and water. If using pickled jalapeños, add them in the blender as well. I used about 2-3 tablespoons but add to your preference.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Touch the sauce and rub between two fingers. If the sauce has texture, keep blending.
- Add cheese sauce to a pan on low heat to warm up or serve chilled. Delicious both ways!