These easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones with espresso glaze are going to be your new favorite sweet treat! Serve with coffee for breakfast or a snack.
I'm obsessed with these Vegan Chocolate Chip Espresso Scones! I've been baking a lot lately and scones have been my current craving. Especially scones that are filled with delicious chocolate chips and drizzled with espresso glaze. You gotta try these!
These Vegan Chocolate Chip Espresso Scones are fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside. These scones come together very easily but make sure you work quickly so the butter doesn't melt! I highly recommend these for a nice treat with a cup of coffee mid-day.
Nothing special here. Just a big bowl and a spatula!
- All Purpose Flour
- Cold Vegan Butter
- Chocolate Chips
- Espresso or Instant Coffee
I don't recommend substitutions when it comes to baking. One simple change can change the whole recipe. Try any substitutions at your own risk and leave a comment down below if they worked out or not!
Tips & Tricks
Measure your ingredients properly! Flour is often measured wrong. Measure your flour by fluffing the flour then spooning it in to a measuring cup and leveling it off with a knife. Never scoop directly in to the bag and pack in the flour. This will result in WAY too much flour and your scones will be very dry.
Work fast and make sure your butter is very cold!
More Sweet Recipes
Vegan Chocolate Chip Espresso Scones
Chocolate Chip Scones:
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour spooned and leveled
- ⅓ cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup 1 stick Vegan Butter, cold
- ⅓ cup - ½ cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
- ¾ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Espresso Powder or Instant Coffee
- 4 teaspoons Plant Milk
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Whisk together the all purpose flour (see above on how to measure flour properly), granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together the unsweetened plant milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Add the cold vegan butter to the dry mixture. Use a pastry cutter or your hands to work the butter in to the flour. It should resemble coarse crumbs.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and toss in the chocolate chips as well. Use a spatula to bring the dough to together. Lightly flour a clean surface and carefully knead the dough to bring it together. Do this fast to avoid the butter melting.
- Roll out the dough in to a 5x9 rectangle. Cut in to 8 rectangles and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until lightly brown on top. Let cool.
- Make the glaze: Whisk together the powdered sugar, espresso powder and plant milk. Drizzle over scones and enjoy!