This Vegan Steak Sandwich w/ Gouda & Arugula is not to be missed! This sandwich has everything you need to craft the best sandwich. Hearty protein, gooey cheese, caramelized sweet onions, and an acidic yet perfectly balanced arugula salad. Better yet, it's all vegan!
Back with another recipe and it's a good one! Well, they are all good. To me, at least. But this vegan steak sandwich w/ gouda & arugula is freaking delicious and never gets old. Who doesn't love a good hearty sandwich??
This sandwich is made up of 4 important elements! The vegan steak is tender, smoky and flavorful. The gouda cheese balances the hearty steak by adding a creamy texture that has a subtle sweet flavor. We can't forget about the caramelized onions simply because caramelized onions make everything more delicious. And lastly, the arugula salad! It might seem like a unique choice to add the arugula salad but again, it's all for balance. Arugula naturally has a bitter peppery taste which might be an acquired taste but when tossed with a balsamic vinegar, mustard, lemon mixture, it's heaven! The acidic dressing pairs well with the sweetness of the onions and the hearty smoky flavor in the vegan steaks. My boyfriend who openly hates arugula admitted that it does add an element to this sandwich that is not to be missed!
What You Will Need For This Vegan Steak Sandwich w/ Gouda & Arugula
- Vegan Steak
- Gouda Cheese
- Sweet Onion
- Arugula Salad
What I Used:
You'll need to prep ahead and make the vegan steaks. I recommend making them the night before but it isn't necessary. Keep in mind the original recipe includes a marinade and a gravy but those are not needed in this recipe. Stop following that recipe after you've steamed the steaks for 30 minutes and come back over here. Click here for the vegan steak recipe. Note: Recipe makes 8 steaks but you'll only need 4 for these sandwiches. Half the steak recipe or store the other 4 in the fridge or freezer for more sandwiches later on or for a different recipe.
For the bread, I used a whole wheat baguette. This makes 4 large sandwiches so I recommend getting 2 whole baguettes and cutting the in half to make 4. OR buy the 4 individual baguettes that you can find at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's usually. If you don't want to use baguettes, use any crusty bread of your choice. I don't advise using regular sandwich bread.
How To Make The Best Vegan Steak Sandwich w/ Gouda & Arugula
Don't be tempted to skip the arugula. It makes this sandwich so much better and more flavorful. It's really complementary to the gouda and the flavors in the vegan steak. Trust me!
More Sandwich Recipes You Might Like:
If You Make This Recipe:
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I would greatly appreciate if you share your review in the comments below. Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Steak Sandwich w/ Gouda & Arugula
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Butter or Olive Oil
- 4 Vegan Steaks
- ¾ cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce I used louisiana hot sauce
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Sweet Onion thinly sliced
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
Gouda Cheese Sauce:
- 6 Slices of Vegan Gouda Cheese I used Follow Your Heart
- ½ cup Non-Dairy Milk more if needed
- 2 Large Handfuls of Arugula
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Large Baguettes or 4 Small Baguettes sub any crusty bread you'd prefer
- Go over to my Vegan Steak recipe and follow instructions- skip the marinade and gravy. Recipe makes 8- you only need 4 for this recipe. Make day ahead or fresh. See notes above for more information. Once cooled, thinly slice and set aside.
- Thinly slice the sweet onion. Add oil to a large pan on medium heat and add onions with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes or until onions are brown and caramelized. Turn heat down, if needed.
- When the caramelized onions are almost done cooking, add the vegan butter to a separate pan on medium high heat and add the thinly sliced vegan steak. Cook until they start to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the vegetable broth, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce together. Add the sauce and let cook for about 5-7 more minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the gouda slices to a small pot on medium heat along with ½ cup of non-dairy milk. Let cheese melt and then whisk until combined and smooth. The cheese will thicken once it sits. Add splashes of non-dairy milk to reach a smooth sauce consistency.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper. Toss in 2 large handfuls of arugula and mix well.
- Toast the baguette, if desired. Divide the steak in to 4 servings and place on one side of the baguette then top with caramelized onions, gouda cheese sauce, and arugula salad. Serve and enjoy!!!