This Vegan Buffalo Sauce recipe takes no time at all to whip up and tastes just as good as your favorite restaurant or bottled sauce!
This spicy vegan buffalo sauce is perfect for dipping your favorite vegan chicken nuggets in or tossing over crispy cauliflower wings and serving on sandwiches, wraps or salads.
If you don't have time to whip up your own homemade buffalo sauce, scroll down and find 5 vegan-friendly buffalo sauce brands that can be purchased online or at your local grocery store.
This easy and delicious homemade Vegan Buffalo Sauce recipe will become a new favorite dipping sauce! It's made from hot sauce, vegan butter, spices, and white vinegar. It comes together in under 5 minutes and tastes just like your favorite restaurant's buffalo sauce!
- Hot Sauce
- Vegan Butter
- White Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Hot Sauce: Most hot sauce brands are vegan. For this recipe, look for ones that are hot pepper and vinegar based and not one with a lot of added ingredients. I prefer Frank's RedHot Original Hot Sauce as the base for this buffalo sauce recipe.
- Vegan Butter: Use a high-quality vegan butter that you enjoy the taste of- my favorite is Earth Balance.
- White Vinegar: Adds more depth of flavor! Can be substituted with apple cider vinegar. This will add a tangy flavor.
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce: Optional but a delicious addition if you have it. The majority of Worcestershire sauce brands are not vegan but the brand Annie's and the Wizard's are vegan friendly. If you're gluten-free, use the Wizard's Worcestershire Sauce or omit it.
- Garlic Powder & Onion Powder: This is for added flavor as well.
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper: Optional but I love spice! Adds a deeper spicy kick.
- Pinch of Salt & Black Pepper: Bring out the flavors.
How to Make This Recipe
This incredibly easy vegan buffalo sauce recipe can be made in under 5 minutes.
Melt the vegan butter.
Then, whisk together all the remaining buffalo sauce ingredients in to a bowl. Serve immediately or store in an airtight jar for up to 2 weeks.
Why isn't buffalo sauce vegan?
Hot sauce typically is vegan-friendly but traditional buffalo sauce is usually not. Typically, buffalo sauce is made with butter so it's not vegan-friendly. Most brands and recipes contain Worcestershire sauce as well so it wouldn't even be considered vegetarian.
But luckily, making your own vegan buffalo sauce can be made by making a few simple substitutions. Simply switch to a vegan-friendly brand of Worcestershire sauce and use vegan butter.
While this vegan buffalo wing sauce is very simple to make and contains minimal ingredients, there are a few good store-bought brands of buffalo sauce that happen to be vegan-friendly!
Here are a few I recommend giving a try:
- Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sauce: This product contains natural butter type flavor but the brand has confirmed that it is vegan friendly and the butter flavor is not made of animal products. This is a good option if you're looking to purchase one instead of making it yourself because it can be found in most grocery stores.
- Primal Kitchen Buffalo Sauce: This one is a good option! It's vegan, keto, paleo and even gluten-free. it's made from avocado oil and pumpkin seed butter.
- Nobel Made Buffalo Sauce: This buffalo sauce brand has a very simple ingredient list and looks delicious. I haven't seen it in stores so it might be online only.
- Tessemae's Buffalo Sauce: I couldn't find this one on their website but it is available online in other locations.
- Yellowbird Wing Sauce: This isn't labeled buffalo sauce. It's called Bliss + Vinegar and is made from red serrano peppers, white vinegar, strawberries, dates and coconut cream. The blend sounds interesting and is branded as a wing sauce so if you're looking for something unique, give this a try!
Homemade buffalo sauce can be made mild, medium spicy or extra hot. Simple changes can be made to this recipe to make sure that your preferred spice level is reached. It's the absolute best spicy buffalo sauce and is made with very minimal ingredients in under 5 minutes!
Make it spicier: Add a big pinch of cayenne pepper and use an extra spicy hot sauce!
Make it mild: Add more melted vegan butter. I would recommend a 1:1 ratio of butter to hot sauce if you are after a mild low heat buffalo sauce.
Make it sweet & spicy: Add a splash of agave or maple syrup to create a delicious vegan buffalo sauce that is medium spicy with a hint of sweetness.
Anywhere you want to use buffalo sauce, use this vegan recipe instead! This spicy sauce can be added to so many different recipes to add flavor to your favorite recipe.
- Use this buffalo sauce in the following recipes: Buffalo Cauliflower Sandwich w/ Vegan Bleu Cheese Dressing and Vegan Buffalo Chicken Taquitos.
- Dipping Sauce: Use as a dipping sauce for Tofu Nuggets or Cauliflower Bites.
- Vegan Chicken Wings: Make vegan buffalo cauliflower wings, tofu buffalo wings or seitan buffalo wings by baking or frying a crispy coated ingredient and toss in this hot sauce recipe. Add the vegan wings to salads, wraps, sandwiches and so much more!
- Pasta: Make a buffalo pasta by mixing my heavy cream recipe and adding some buffalo sauce and seasonings to taste.
- Dips: Make a vegan buffalo chicken dip.
This homemade vegan buffalo sauce recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks when stored in an airtight container or glass jar. The butter will cause it to thicken just a bit. Simply heat it on the stove for a few minutes until warmed through to thin it out or use cold straight from the jar.
Frequently Asked Questions
Buffalo sauce usually contains butter and Worcestershire sauce which are not vegan ingredients. Luckily, it's super easy to make changes to make this delicious sauce vegan.
If you use vegan friendly Worcestershire sauce, then yes!
Yes, it's pretty spicy! It's made from a cayenne based hot sauce.
Add more butter to mellow the spicy flavor. You could even add a splash of agave or maple syrup to balance the spice.
Use a super spicy hot sauce brand and add less butter.
More Sauce Recipes You’ll Love
- Homemade Vegan BBQ Sauce
- Spicy Vegan Teriyaki Sauce
- Easy 5 Minute Thai Peanut Sauce
- Easy Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing
- Vegan Bang Bang Sauce
Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- ½ cup Hot Sauce I used Frank's RedHot Original Hot Sauce
- ¼ cup Vegan Butter melted
- 2 teaspoons White Vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon Vegan Worcestershire Sauce optional
- ⅛ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Onion Powder
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Pinch of Salt & Black Pepper
- Melt the vegan butter. Then, whisk together all the remaining buffalo sauce ingredients in to a bowl. Serve immediately or store in an airtight jar for up to 2 weeks.