This Vegan Chicken Broth Seasoning Powder is a pantry staple in my house! Sprinkle on your food to add a savory flavor or mix it with hot water and make a vegan chicken broth for all your favorite dishes.
This vegan chicken broth-inspired seasoning blend is a great way to add incredible flavor to a wide range of dishes. Anywhere you would use chicken broth or vegetable broth, substitute it with this blend.
This quick and easy chicken-style vegan bouillon powder can be used as a powder seasoning or dissolved in water to be used as a broth to cook rice, use in soups, stews, gravy, and more!
It lasts for up to 6 months so you don’t have to worry about picking up boxes of broth at the store anymore. It’s right there in your pantry ready to be used!
I’ve tried numerous vegetable broths and vegan chicken stocks but this homemade vegan stock powder takes the cake! It’s an easy recipe to make and is made up of simple herbs and spices that you probably have already in your spice cabinet.
- Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Onion & Garlic Powder
- Dried Herbs
- Black Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
The best thing about making your own vegan chicken seasoning from scratch is that you can customize it to your preferences! Need it to be salt-free? Leave it out! Don’t like the flavor of oregano? No worries!
- Nutritional Yeast: Nutritional Yeast is the base for our seasoning blend. It is typically added to vegan recipes to add a cheese-like flavor but that is not what it does in this recipe at all. It adds umami and is essential to this recipe. You can buy this at your local health food store, big grocery stores like Trader Joe’s, or simply buy it online!
- Salt: I added salt to this recipe but you can make it salt-free by leaving it out! It isn’t overly salty though and has way less salt than store-bought stocks.
- Onion Powder & Garlic Powder: If you want a less potent garlic flavor, use half the amount but I wouldn’t leave out the onion powder. It’s essential!
- Dried Herbs: Dried Parsley, Dried Oregano, Dried Basil, Dried Thyme, and Rubbed Sage are the herbs that are added to this seasoning blend. Herbs really help add a chicken flavor without the chicken!
- Black Pepper: Always gotta have black pepper!
- Smoked Paprika: Adds a little color and nice flavor. If you don’t want a smoky flavor, add sweet paprika.
- Turmeric: Just a tiny pinch for color.
How to Make This Recipe
When you are in a pinch or if you just want the perfect substitute for chicken broth, this is the best staple to keep around! This chicken broth substitute can be made in under 5 minutes.
Combine the nutritional yeast and the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and whisk together until evenly incorporated.
Optional Step: Add the seasoning blend into a food processor or spice grinder and pulse into a fine powder. Don’t over-pulse! Just a few times to make sure everything is incorporated. I tend to leave mine unpulsed and then pulse it depending on what I make.
How to Make Broth
Making your own broth out of this blend couldn’t be easier! Dissolve 1 tablespoon of the seasoning blend into 1 cup of hot water. Stir to dissolve.
Tips & Tricks
Pulse it in a blender, food processor, or spice grinder! This will ensure it’s evenly mixed together and will mix into the water without any separation. I don’t mind the large flakes of the herbs- the nutritional yeast will dissolve in hot water. This comes down to preference.
Substitutions & Additions
Celery Salt: Celery salt is an addition that most chicken-flavored broths include. I decided to leave it out of mine because it’s not something I regularly buy. If you’d like to include it, go for it. I would add 1/2 teaspoon. If you want a salt-free version, add celery seed.
Change up the Herbs: Take a shortcut and add Italian seasonings or poultry seasoning instead of herbs. This will alter the original flavor but this recipe is super customizable and easy to change to fit your personal preferences.
Use as a Seasoning Blend: Sprinkle on popcorn, tofu scramble, vegan mock meats, vegetables, roasted potatoes, pasta, and more!
Use as a Broth: Add it to water and use it in homemade soups like this vegan chicken noodle soup, stews, and sauces, or use it to cook rice, and more!
Add Flavor: Use it to add flavor to mock meats like vegan chicken-style seitan, tofu nuggets, or rehydrate soy curls.
Storage: Add vegan chicken bouillon powder blend into an airtight jar or airtight container for up to 6 months in a dry place.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, I get why some people who aren’t vegan may not fully understand why regular chicken broth isn’t vegan. It’s broth, not chicken so why wouldn’t it be vegan? Well, it’s definitely not vegan friendly because it is made using actual chicken. But there are brands out there that make vegan-friendly chicken broth- usually marketed as No-Chicken Broth. Always check ingredients or use this homemade vegan chicken stock recipe or vegetable broth to be sure.
Unfortunately, no. This vegan chicken broth powder cannot be made without nutritional yeast. It is the base of our recipe.
More Seasoning Blends You’ll Love:
If You Make This Recipe:
I would greatly appreciate it if you share your review in the comments below and leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating. I really appreciate it- it helps me out so much! Don’t forget to add if you made any fun substitutions. Thank you!
Vegan Chicken Broth Seasoning Powder
- 1 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Dried Parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Dried Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Rubbed Sage
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- Combine the nutritional yeast and seasonings into a bowl and whisk together until evenly incorporated. Optional: Add seasoning blend into a food processor and pulse into a fine powder.
- BROTH: Dissolve 1 tablespoon of the seasoning blend into 1 cup of hot water. Stir to dissolve.
Disclosure: This page contains some affiliate links. Please know that I may receive a percentage or commission from a link included on this page, at no extra cost to you. I will only ever recommend a product that I have used and believe has substantial value to my readers.